Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Weather Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Went for a 300 mile ride yesterday in 90+ temps. When in stop and go traffic at construction sites it was miserable but when moving at a reasonable pace I was fine on the upper half of my body but the lower half was still cooking. I wear sweat wicking shirts with jeans. What do you guys suggest in place of jeans to keep cooler (and please don't say shorts or I'll know you're not a "real biker")
Come on, shorts and flip flops all the way! All the sportbike riders are doing it, why can't we?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GCSuper
This time of year, I just don't care to ride very much. July, August, and Sept are just too damn hot. I'll ride all day when it's freezing. Heated gear and the right helmet and clothes make it feel good. In the heat, you just can't do a lot to keep cool. I'm lucky enough to have a pool and a boat and would much rather be using them now and save the bike for the other 9 months.
Same here. I'll do a few night beach cruises, but that's about it. Summer is boat and pool weather.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

We have the H-D Circulator seat and backrest pads.

Really helps to reduce the amount of sweat on your butt and back.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Glenbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perspective helps too. Weather today says slightly less humid, no rain and temps to 106*. In Phoenix summer, that's a ride-the-HD-to-work day.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Tony Steele
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mistersandman202
I agree. Here in Coastal Georgia it's just too damn hot & humid, & I'm not about to ride in shorts & flip-flops like the dumbasses you see around here & Florida. Years working in E.R.s & scrubbing acres of road rash convinced me to keep a layer between me & the road! I just ride the other 9 months & skip the summer months here. Luckily I can ride almost all winter.
Stop and think, you sound just like the people that argue that we are 'dumbasses' for riding a motorcycle in the first place. I assume you wouldn't accept that assessment about your chosen hobby. You accept the level of risk associated with riding in whatever level of safety gear you choose.

To answer the op, I found the dri-fit style **** socks and similar made a big difference in how cool my feet feel on hot days. I prefer loose fitting jeans as well, a bit more air movement.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Florida dumba$$ here, I ride in shorts all summer, too damn hot and humid. Yeah, I know, but I accept the risk. Every now and then I'll see some guy with a full face helmet, full leathers and I wonder why he would go out at all with the heat and humidity. Too each his own, and oh yeah, I never wear flip flops!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
old skool pan man
Cruiser

I prefer the "Dickie's" tan or black cotton pants. Pretty lightweight and comfortable.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
Florida dumba$$ here, I ride in shorts all summer, too damn hot and humid. Yeah, I know, but I accept the risk. Every now and then I'll see some guy with a full face helmet, full leathers and I wonder why he would go out at all with the heat and humidity. Too each his own, and oh yeah, I never wear flip flops!
You'll stay cooler and more comfortable with a FF helmet and clothes that cover your skin. It's amazing what keeping the sun and the hot air off of you does.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

I wear boots, jeans and a mesh jacket 100% of the time. In summer these are the minimums. I ridden all over the US in all kinds of weather in every season. Never felt hot.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Starter brand wicking undies. Jeans over them. buy the wicking undies at walmart for about 10.00 / pair. wicking under armor shirt and mesh tech olympia jacket. it is actually cooler to be covered and protected from the sun. the sun can sap your energy in short time.

Quick Reply: Hot Weather Riding