Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Let me try and describe the feeling in the brake lever a little better. When it happens it feels like you lose brake pressure and the front lever has less resistance and you have to squeeze it more to get the "feel" back in the lever. Its a very strange sensation. If you have ever bled brakes in a car it feels like when you buddy releases the drain and the pedal sinks towards the floor in your car.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you ever been in a car in an abs mode? The pedal feeling does change because the system is taking over to try to bring a vehicle to a controlled stop. Thats why if you release the brakes the abs mode is cancelled and reinitiated when you apply again. Thats why its imperative to stay on the brake a d not release it. I cant speak for the new HD abs but what I described is typical for antilock brakes. If you honestly feel there is something wrong and it was not an operator error ina s braking procedure by all means take it to a qualified shop. Brakes are nothing to cheat on.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Your bike has ABS.

You described an ABS event.

Never let go of the brake lever or pedal during an ABS event.

Or

Let some of these guys who also don't know how ABS works or what it feels like when it engages talk you into believing something is wrong with your bike.

I can't understand why someone who bought a bike with ABS wouldn't go to a wide opn parking lot or deserted road and get a feel for the ABS engagement.

THEN, practice making quick stops without having the ABS activate (threshold braking).

Old 07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Your bike has ABS.

You described an ABS event.

Never let go of the brake lever or pedal during an ABS event.

Or

Let some of these guys who also don't know how ABS works or what it feels like when it engages talk you into believing something is wrong with your bike.

I can't understand why someone who bought a bike with ABS wouldn't go to a wide opn parking lot or deserted road and get a feel for the ABS engagement.

THEN, practice making quick stops without having the ABS activate (threshold braking).
Nomad. Couldnt agree more. When abs was introduced they should have mandated training courses or something so people became educated, just like people thing a 4x4 or suv handles like the old family country squire

Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
Let me try and describe the feeling in the brake lever a little better. When it happens it feels like you lose brake pressure and the front lever has less resistance and you have to squeeze it more to get the "feel" back in the lever. Its a very strange sensation. If you have ever bled brakes in a car it feels like when you buddy releases the drain and the pedal sinks towards the floor in your car.
When the lever goes soft, do you feel any vibration or chatter or pulsing? If the abs has properly engaged, you should. It may not be strong, but it should be there. If it's just going limp, that doesn't sound like it's cycling properly.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I have ABS in nearly everything I own. When I have an "ABS event" in one of my cars or trucks the pedal does not release and go to the floor or anything.
What I feel is a vibration as it pulses and as soon as the event is over, the pedal is at the same place it was when I first pushed it. Crazy right?

The two Harley ABS bikes I've owned... the pedal goes down dramatically on the rear during an event and you basically have to let up on the pedal to reset.
I'm talking like it feels you have no rear brake at all and to further brake (because you're still braking) you have to push even further down on the pedal beyond where you pushed originally - it's a strange feeling I learned to live with.

Fronts.. not so much but the lever does sink a wee bit.

So I can understand how someone would feel like it's a loss of brake after hitting a bump. Happens to me all the time. Especially the rear.

lp

Old 07-10-2014, 03:06 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
You are describing an abs event. What your feeling is the dump valve coming on and preventing wheel lock up.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Okay dump valve huh? Did it again today over some pot holes and took the brilliant advice and did not let off. That was a fricking mistake as I had no front brake until I let off and reapplied the brake and damn ran a stop sign. Super scary and there is some kind of issue with the bike's ABS.

Taking it in to the dealer and let them clean their drawers when the brakes stop working.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you have the "why" figured out. They all do that. Several quick "bumps" seem to trigger an ABS event if you're coming in "hot" and on the brakes aggressively, especially the rear. If you keep hitting potholes and bumpy pavement in areas where you will need to use your brakes you might try slowing down a little sooner. This will give you more stopping time and probably alleviate you situation.

The brilliant advise you got was just that, brilliant, for a normally working ABS system. I don't see too many ABS problems here but that doesn't mean you don't have one. Does the yellow ABS light come on when this problem occurs? Hopefully, since you're taking it to the dealer, they'll get you fixed up.

I've had the same problem and it's scary crossing that white line and finally stopping in the intersection. It only took me one time to realize what happened and to start stopping sooner in those situations. My problem was that I was not familiar with ABS brakes on a Harley Davidson. From what I read here, BMWs have better ABS systems but I have never ridden one.

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone to leave plenty of space between you and the car ahead of you in case he stops quickly on a bumpy road surface. I keep telling myself to do this but it doesn't always happen.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:14 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Unerving to say the least mine still gets my attention after having abs for almost 4 years . New integrated brake system will eliminate this on newer models unless both wheels leave pavement at same time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?