Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
Okay dump valve huh? Did it again today over some pot holes and took the brilliant advice and did not let off. That was a fricking mistake as I had no front brake until I let off and reapplied the brake and damn ran a stop sign. Super scary and there is some kind of issue with the bike's ABS.

Taking it in to the dealer and let them clean their drawers when the brakes stop working.
Ill bet they tell you there is nothing wrong with your bike.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
Ill bet they tell you there is nothing wrong with your bike.

I will take that bet. Damn near rear ended a car today after a man hole and small pot hole right after each other triggered the ABS to "freeze up" my front brake again. Squeezed hard and did not release as recommended for ABS and nothing. Let off and reapplied and they started working but I had to pump a little and braked hard and the worked. Something aint right!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Ben what you are describing is the way the hd abs works. The system is super slow to react. Case in point, you are reacting faster that it is. I've stated the hd abs sucks terribly for this reason. And I've been told I can't out brake a computer. I can and so can you.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Very common over railroad tracks too.

Ben

Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop
Very common over railroad tracks too.

Ben
Another eye opener is the reflector dots. Not common but when it happens, yeee haaw!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Man, I guess I can learn to not brake over bumps or anything but you should not have to think of when to brake. My warranty is up in Oct so I will get it checked but if that is factory operation then for lack of better words it sucks!! I really want ABS but this crap can be scary.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, I guess I can learn to not brake over bumps or anything but you should not have to think of when to brake. My warranty is up in Oct so I will get it checked but if that is factory operation then for lack of better words it sucks!! I really want ABS but this crap can be scary.
I know exactly what your talking about. Mine does it too. You have to learn how it acts in different situations. I recommend people do some threshold braking under controlled conditions so they understand how it works. Abs is designed so you can still maneuver your vehicle without locking the wheels under hard braking.

Are you using both front and rear Brakes to their fullest potential? I bet a lot of people don't use half of it. Practice it will save your life.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes , wait till it activates when you are braking in the twistys and you miss the apex, LOL. Fun times!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:51 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm confused.... I just got my first abs bike and I don't seem to be having any of those problems or feelings with mine. It was so easy to get used to, and I really can only say that I've felt the abs come on two times. Both times was me trying them out and slamming on the brakes. I can imagine that would be a bad feeling having your brakes go soft like that. I ride on some really rough roads and have never once felt the abs come on. I actually find the opposite when I'm stopping. If I come on to the front brake, I feel the pressure INCREASE in the rear. I assume that's the linked brakes working.
Anyways, I'm sure you guys all know more about them than me, but if my bike started acting like that I would have it looked at too.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
I'm confused.... I just got my first abs bike and I don't seem to be having any of those problems or feelings with mine. It was so easy to get used to, and I really can only say that I've felt the abs come on two times. Both times was me trying them out and slamming on the brakes. I can imagine that would be a bad feeling having your brakes go soft like that. I ride on some really rough roads and have never once felt the abs come on. I actually find the opposite when I'm stopping. If I come on to the front brake, I feel the pressure INCREASE in the rear. I assume that's the linked brakes working.
Anyways, I'm sure you guys all know more about them than me, but if my bike started acting like that I would have it looked at too.
Just apply your brakes over a larger bump or series of bumps or I guess even train tracks and when the ABS comes on, and the the tire skips all hell breaks out in that system. Be careful when they start working as you will be squeezing hard and wonder WTF is going on.

Quick Reply: Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?