Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe you have bad wheel bearings, and you are knocking your pads back in the calipers.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
Just apply your brakes over a larger bump or series of bumps or I guess even train tracks and when the ABS comes on, and the the tire skips all hell breaks out in that system. Be careful when they start working as you will be squeezing hard and wonder WTF is going on.
Like I said, my bike doesn't do that... lol, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my brakes because they don't scare the $h1T out of me, lmao

Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mtiberio
maybe you have bad wheel bearings, and you are knocking your pads back in the calipers.
It aint that, LOL. If it was he would have the issue every time he used the front brake, not just when hitting a bump.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Dropped it off tonight so we should know tomorrow. I replicated it on the way to the dealer. There is some bad pavement over about 10' and braked and when you hit multiple bumps the lever freeze and you lose breaks then it will finally start working again. The lever feels extra firm but the brakes totally release. It did it this morning just over two man hole covers by my office going slow and barely braking. Something has to be wrong as there is no reason for the brakes to stop braking.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Well, I lost the bet. The dealer called, first tech said nothing wrong so I spoke to the manager and he said he test rode it and hit bumps and tried and they worked fine. I explained you have to braking and then it happens he so he agreed to ride it again and he noticed the sensation in the lever. He called the mother ship who said "that's normal and that is the reason why they changed the 14's". You guys are right...

So I thanked the dealer, they are pretty good and they did what they should have done plus kept me in the loop. On the ride home an tested them to full braking and had two results on clean dry pavement. First was that weird sensation of the lever locking and not braking well and the second time they fell great and got some tire chirp and the lever felt normal.

I can work around these brakes as is but to be honest I would rate the now old HD ABS as "shitty" on uneven roads, potholes or braking bumps but effective on dry even pavement or gravel/sand and y maybe water.