Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?

I have noticed this a few times and wonder what the heck is going on. If I am applying the front brake and hit a little bump it feels like the tire skips, the ABS comes on then the brake stops working then I have to reapply the brake. Usually when I am at speeds above 30 or so.

Anyone feel this on the ABS bike? Its seems to be on anything that kind of pops the front tire upwards a little. Its kind of distressing.

2013 RKC

Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Deer_Predator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the nature of the beast... Just keep the pressure on the trigger. ABS is designed to work with even pressure not pumping the brakes..

Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah I had a similar thread a little while back I made.. its 'normal' in that the ABS thinks the wheel is about to lock up because it has lost contact with the road. Kind of freaky because you at least appear to lose breaking power. (Haven't figured out if you REALLY do or not). Release and reapply if possible like you said.. if possible avoid breaking over 'bumps' but I know that's hard if not impossible to do sometimes..

Others will provide their input here I am sure as well.. learning to deal with ABS when not having it before can be tough. (I haven't had it before on my bike until I got this one).

Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Happens to me frequently, and I find it reassuring; the ABS is doing its job!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Thanks for the input and I did not see that other thread when I searched first.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have this same ABS situation on the car when stopping on a bumpy road.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just keep the same pressure on the lever. You don't need to reapply the brake. The ABS will release on it's own. If you didn't have ABS, the tire would probably chirp on the pavement.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,237 Likes on 808 Posts

That just doesn't sound right to me, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding the story.

If you're braking and the wheel goes airborne, it locks easily. ABS would release pressure to allow the wheel to turn again when it hits the ground. But as soon as it starts turning again it should be allowing normal braking. If it just sits there and holds the brake released, something is wrong with the ABS.

I'd also say you've got a damper problem in the forks if it's allowing the wheel to go airborne easily over bumps. It should take quite a bit to get the wheel tossed into the air where it locks easily.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior

fox trapper, On closer inspection I have a little leak in the left fork....I am taking it in for the $5k next week and will have it checked.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The nature of ABS is the signal in the ABS unit when braking is releasing and applying the brakes in milliseconds more than the human mind can fathom, when you release the brakes and reapply youre starting another abs cycle that is different than the cycle you just released and will act differently (example, when you hit the bump the abs sensed no contact and was trying to work the brakes the fastest and safest for that moment, had you left pressure on the brakes it would have done what its designed to do).

Rule #1 with ABS once you apply the brakes and it starts to do its job, dont let off the brakes, if you do you interrupted its antilock cycle and it will have to adjust to a new road demand, which is why a lot of people think theres something wrong because your stopping distance has increased or you have the feeling of not stopping good enough.

foxtrapper: With ABS and the tire goes airborne it will NOT lock! Unless the ABS has failed but then you would have an ABS warning light, and you still have conventional braking operation.

Last edited by bagman1; 07-10-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brake seems to stop working when I hit a bump?