Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to wake up my Rinehart 4"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
De-cat your stock head pipes and save the $$ to spend on the Stage I tune.
It will be plenty loud, and not much performance difference from aftermarket head pipe.

Worked for me.
Again, good advice. 2011 RK: I decatted, V&H Vo2 stage 1, external breathers and Fp3. RCX 4" slip ons. Runs like a scalded dog. 44 mpg. The RCX mufflers much louder after decat.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

squirt water in the mufflers when bike is cold then run it do it a few times and see what happens. way back we did it with glasspacks to get them to burn out quicker
as a bonus it makes a lot of cool looking steam this time of year !

I know nothing of the construction or design of the burnfarts but if they use packing it should change the tone.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by jb27
Right now I'm running stock head pipes/AC with only Rinehart 4" slip-ons with their standard baffles on my '14 SGS. I'm happy with the tone but not so happy with the volume (or lack thereof). I was thinking of adding some V&H Dresser Dual head pipes to add some more volume and while I was at it, throw on a new less restrictive AC and retune (PV).

I got to thinking. A few years back I had a Fat Bob with VH pipes that I added Big City Thunder baffles to and wow what a difference it made.

Just curious what everyone thinks would be the best way (and possibly the easiest/cheapest way) to achieve my overall goal of more volume. I'm satisfied performance-wise with how the bike is running now, so if I were to do the full Stage 1, really it'd only be to get more volume. Seems kind of silly to sink all that money into it if I don't have to.

Thanks for your thoughts.
The best and cheapest way is to ride more. At around 50,000 miles the sound will be much different. Get off the computer and get started!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:57 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had 4 " rineys on my stock header and sound was better but not great. Did the slimlines with SE intake and canned map which was much improved sound and performance but not what I was accustomed to from other experiences and that is where I stopped. My buddy did the very same thing with similar results but when he did an engine upgrade and cam change..bang.. those Rineharts came alive and sounded like they should..good rumble at cruise and bark loudly with throttle roll. Cams made the big difference. His bike 14 SG; mine 15 Limited.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
2.5 year old thread and this is how you bump it up?

I like you used the search feature though.

To add to the thread....

I went with an S&S Power Tune head pipe for my 4" Rinehart's and hungered for just a bit more. The 2.5" High Performance baffles were just the ticket and woke those 4"ers up. Combined with a V&H FP3, I'm ecstatic the way she's running.
I agree on both counts, the bump it up and the S&S Power Tunes.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:22 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

It appears many posters have not mentioned break in period, very important when judging sounds. Decating headpipe does make a difference in sound no doubt.

Speaking from past experiences (depending on riders aggressive tendencies) will have a greater influence in sound over conservative riders.

I consider myself as a 80/20, 80% conservative with the occasional 20% need for speed. With that said, my 4" Rinehart's w/chrome tips (if that makes any difference or not), got 15% louder after 2,000 to 2,200 miles or "after break in" comparing to when first installed.

So don't be soooo disappointed if your new exhaust doesn't sound good right out of the box...... Unless you have straight through pipes, or drag pipes (they are way too loud for me IMHO and does not require breaking in).

Something to consider!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.