Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to wake up my Rinehart 4"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:55 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to wake up my Rinehart 4"?

Right now I'm running stock head pipes/AC with only Rinehart 4" slip-ons with their standard baffles on my '14 SGS. I'm happy with the tone but not so happy with the volume (or lack thereof). I was thinking of adding some V&H Dresser Dual head pipes to add some more volume and while I was at it, throw on a new less restrictive AC and retune (PV).

I got to thinking. A few years back I had a Fat Bob with VH pipes that I added Big City Thunder baffles to and wow what a difference it made.

Just curious what everyone thinks would be the best way (and possibly the easiest/cheapest way) to achieve my overall goal of more volume. I'm satisfied performance-wise with how the bike is running now, so if I were to do the full Stage 1, really it'd only be to get more volume. Seems kind of silly to sink all that money into it if I don't have to.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

Well it sounds like you did what I did and just threw the slip ons on. I just installed a set of RC X components rival mufflers and they are louder then stock but have a very deep tone tho and seem quite compared to when I threw a set of slip ons on my Fatboy! I was told with the Touring Harleys removing the cat helps to make it loud. But once you do that then you have to tune.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Toss 'em in the recycle bin and get a D&D Fatcat!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:12 AM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jb27
Right now I'm running stock head pipes/AC with only Rinehart 4" slip-ons with their standard baffles on my '14 SGS. I'm happy with the tone but not so happy with the volume (or lack thereof). I was thinking of adding some V&H Dresser Dual head pipes to add some more volume and while I was at it, throw on a new less restrictive AC and retune (PV).

I got to thinking. A few years back I had a Fat Bob with VH pipes that I added Big City Thunder baffles to and wow what a difference it made.

Just curious what everyone thinks would be the best way (and possibly the easiest/cheapest way) to achieve my overall goal of more volume. I'm satisfied performance-wise with how the bike is running now, so if I were to do the full Stage 1, really it'd only be to get more volume. Seems kind of silly to sink all that money into it if I don't have to.

Thanks for your thoughts.
You could start by trying the high flow performance baffles for the mufflers. You can find them on the Rinehart website here.

http://rinehartracing.com/accessories/baffles/100-0111

They are a larger diameter, and somewhat louder.

Last edited by RushKing14; 07-13-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:26 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the CAT out of the head pipes will give you a much better volume.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:40 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back when Rinehart was my exhaust of choice (I've grown up since then) I recall that they got significantly louder after being used for a few thousand miles. I assume they have some sort of packing around the baffles, and as that stuff "burns in" the volume level does increase noticeably.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WILDWOOD_1124
Get the CAT out of the head pipes will give you a much better volume.
...and a lot less heat. You wouldn't believe how hot the cat has to get to burn the excess hydrocarbons. Think about the cats on cars, same thing. How many stories have you heard about cars catching on fire when parked in tall grass? The cat is in there as an EPA required emissions control agent...has nothing to do with how well your bike runs. It does add some constrictive resonance for exhaust gas flow.

If you leave the air cleaner stock, you likely won't need a new tune simply because you remove the cat or move to a new head pipe (retaining closed loop of course). Most go full-out Stage I and be done with it. You won't be happy until you do because you will always be wondering..."how much better can I make this thing with a Stage I?".

However if you are worried about warranty issues, I suggest you just fiddle with the exhausts for now.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Lose the cat if you want them louder, and lose the heat at the same time.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:50 AM
pcwizard
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stage I and de-cat the head pipes (engine runs cooler). will wake them up a lot. Mileage also increases their deep throaty sound. I love it!! After that put on the NiteRider FL-Vied-10 to tune the closed loop. Makes all the difference in the world. Smooths out the throttle, brings back 40+ MPGs and runs cooler even more.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Throw a good cam in and you then will hear those pipes wake up immediately!

Quick Reply: Best way to wake up my Rinehart 4"?