Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel bearings and grease

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts
Default wheel bearings and grease

just had another new set of 25 mm bearings and popped the seals off and hardly any grease in them. i used a needle grease injector to put more grease in them before installing. you can put alot more grease in these bearings. gonna do this to every sealed bearing from now on out.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

i would do this to my mx bikes all the time. bearings would last 5 times as long. lots of grease keeps water out. u could never have to much grease IMO. havnt done this to my HD yet

Old 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,245 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Would any other than sealed ball bearings work on our bikes, so I could up the quality of a replacement bearing drastically?

Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

"just had another new set"
This statement would imply you have had failure with a prior set of bearings?
Which manufacturer are you talking about having no grease?
Were these non-abs bearings or did you inspect abs bearings as well?
How did you determine there was no grease (or little grease) without taking off the seal on these sealed bearings?
The seals are molded very tightly to fit the race and bore of the bearing, so you removed one of the seals and you were able to re-install it?
I was just looking at some bearings I have in the parts bin and I would like to learn how to pop that seal and get it back without damaging it. Looks like it would be very difficult to do.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
How did you determine there was no grease (or little grease) without taking off the seal on these sealed bearings?
The seals are molded very tightly to fit the race and bore of the bearing, so you removed one of the seals and you were able to re-install it?
I was just looking at some bearings I have in the parts bin and I would like to learn how to pop that seal and get it back without damaging it. Looks like it would be very difficult to do.
had first set go bad at 2500 miles, replaced under warranty and they installed the bearing incorrectly, they did not seat them all the way and side loaded them. i then bought a 2014 enforcer wheel that had the ABS bearing installed and i had to swap them out for the non ABS bearings. the new bearings i bought had very little grease in them and i popped out the seal and added grease ( they come in and out very easy). just did the same thing to my younger brothers bike, same deal not much grease in the new bearings. i use a small pick to remove the seals and they pop right out and you can pop them right back in. you can do this on bearings that are installed in the wheel if you like. just be carefull and don't bend the seal. i know i will always do this on sealed bearings. these were non-ABS and HD brand.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
had first set go bad at 2500 miles, replaced under warranty and they installed the bearing incorrectly, they did not seat them all the way and side loaded them. i then bought a 2014 enforcer wheel that had the ABS bearing installed and i had to swap them out for the non ABS bearings. the new bearings i bought had very little grease in them and i popped out the seal and added grease ( they come in and out very easy). just did the same thing to my younger brothers bike, same deal not much grease in the new bearings. i use a small pick to remove the seals and they pop right out and you can pop them right back in. you can do this on bearings that are installed in the wheel if you like. just be carefull and don't bend the seal. i know i will always do this on sealed bearings. these were non-ABS and HD brand.
I may try that with one of my old bearings and see if I can get it to pop out. With my luck I'll probably screw up the seal. Wont' matter on the old bearing. I've often wondered about injecting lube through the seal wall with the seal in place. I would imagine that given the way those radial inline bearings are made, it would be very difficult to evenly distribute lube with an injector, blindly, without poking several holes in the seal.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
it is easy. a long time ago i had a parts guy at a Honda dealership actually show me. all you do is take a pick. or a really small flat blade screwdriver and just pry up the seal little by little working your way around till it pops off, then take some belray waterproof grease on the tip of your finger and pack some in the bearing. then take the seal and gently push it back on similar to putting a paint can lid back on. easy easy

Old 07-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
it is easy. a long time ago i had a parts guy at a Honda dealership actually show me. all you do is take a pick. or a really small flat blade screwdriver and just pry up the seal little by little working your way around till it pops off, then take some belray waterproof grease on the tip of your finger and pack some in the bearing. then take the seal and gently push it back on similar to putting a paint can lid back on. easy easy
Thanks man. I'm definitely going to experiment!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I'd be interested in the results of this as well. If you could post pics, Lowcountry, it would be much appreciated. I'd be curious to see what's left in an old sealed bearing (not a burned out one obviously).

Sometimes I long for the days of the old Timken roller wheel bearings and other outdated technology...

Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Dupliacte...

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 07-13-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: wheel bearings and grease