Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Not to further stir this ridiculous pot, but Honda sold 1,547,100 motorcycles worldwide and 264,000 in North America in 2013. Harley sold 260,839 worldwide and 167,016 in the US.
While I'm open to Harley taking second, the 264,000 number just doesn't make sense. Take a look that this chart.

http://world.honda.com/investors/lib...3ar-p14-17.pdf

112,176 motorcycles makes a lot more sense. But they do also reference later in the article 250,000 units. However I think that includes 4 wheelers and scooters, where as the chart references motorcycles.

I guess we need to figure out what are apples and what are oranges.LOL

Beary

Last edited by beary; 07-23-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
While I'm open to Harley taking second, the 264,000 number just doesn't make sense. Take a look that this chart.

http://world.honda.com/investors/lib...3ar-p14-17.pdf

112,176 motorcycles makes a lot more sense. But they do also reference later in the article 250,000 units. However I think that includes 4 wheelers and scooters, where as the chart references motorcycles.

I guess we need to figure out what are apples and what are oranges.LOL
Whether it makes sense to you or not, those are the numbers as reported to their investors. Note that everything is listed in thousands, so you need to add the zeros at the end of the published numbers. Harley sold 260,471 bikes worldwide, which is a pittance compared to Honda. Even if they include scooters (probably) and 4-wheelers (probably not, I think they're listed under Power Products), the fact remains that Harley isn't the best-selling bike in the country, and certainly not in the world.

And really, so what? They're a premium brand. They don't sell a dirt bike, an adventure bike, a dual sport, a sport bike, or a scooter.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

the fact remains that Harley isn't the best-selling bike in the country, and certainly not in the world.
Ok, you can have the world, but we will have to agree to disagree on this country.

I showed you fact sheet put out by Honda. Let's see yours to figure out where the discrepancy lays. I'd like know.

Beary

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an underpowered diesel BMW. It only runs low 14s. If it was properly powered, it would run 12s.

Uphill, headwind, 80mph, its turning less than 2200rpm in 6th gear. I don't think it groans though. Or "struggles". But it does take more throttle to maintain that speed. Considering it has over 425 lbs ft of torque on tap, I'd say its doing fine.

Now my stock motor 103 SG, its in the meat of the powerband at 3000+rpm requires extra throttle too. I'm pretty sure it doesn't groan though. I would say "roars".

Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
zeman1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Afraid to Rev

IMHO, a lot of people that complain about a lack of power, especially on upgrades, do not like to downshift. They expect a Harley to climb long upgrades without having to rev the engine to make power.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I have an underpowered diesel BMW. It only runs low 14s. If it was properly powered, it would run 12s.

Uphill, headwind, 80mph, its turning less than 2200rpm in 6th gear. I don't think it groans though. Or "struggles". But it does take more throttle to maintain that speed. Considering it has over 425 lbs ft of torque on tap, I'd say its doing fine.

Now my stock motor 103 SG, its in the meat of the powerband at 3000+rpm requires extra throttle too. I'm pretty sure it doesn't groan though. I would say "roars".
You must have just got home from work. I'm glad you did and posted this. So you are saying that if I twist the throttle more (the one in the right hand) I will go faster and speed on up the hill. Now this I have not tried yet but it sounds like it will solve the issue I was describing. Jeeesh...to think it took this many pages...

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

I don't know what kind of power your 107 is making, but I do remember, although I haven't driven it in a few years, that hwy 287 in the Texas panhandle can have some pretty substantial winds. If you where hitting a 30 mph headwind doing 85 mph it is the same wind resistance as doing 115 mph, add to that you were going up a grade and I think you may just be asking more of your Harley than it is capable of giving. Yes, your Beemer is probably more than capable of accelerating in the same situation, but it sports a state of the art engine that is computer controlled to the max. Basically the engine Harley is using is pretty much the same as the panhead motor they introduced in 1948. Yeah they have improved it a lot, but it is the same basic motor. This is one reason Harley should consider a touring platform that has a power plant based on the Revolution design. I can guarantee you than a touring bike with a 95 ci. Revolution engine would not struggle on a grade with a 30 mph headwind.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Not to further stir this ridiculous pot, but Honda sold 1,547,100 motorcycles worldwide and 264,000 in North America in 2013. Harley sold 260,839 worldwide and 167,016 in the US.
You might want to look at that annual report again. Honda sold over 9,500,000 units world wide in 2013. Sold 7,500,000 in Asia alone.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
You must have just got home from work. I'm glad you did and posted this. So you are saying that if I twist the throttle more (the one in the right hand) I will go faster and speed on up the hill. Now this I have not tried yet but it sounds like it will solve the issue I was describing. Jeeesh...to think it took this many pages...
LOL. He also said to down shift. Just sayin.

Been watching the thread for a while. My 2011 96 was as you describe. I had to pin the throttle to maintain 65-70 on those long grades out west. It sucked getting passed by every pos on the road. A bike should be better than that. I upgraded to a 107 and those problems went away. Passing on grades, loaded and 2 up was no longer an issue. Speed was governed by the wrist, not the motors's willingness to participate. My 14 SGS is comparable. I haven't had a chance to run it out west, but based on my experience with it, I don't think it will disappoint.

Guess I'm saying that I can't relate to the speed issue because everyone knows Harleys are under powered out of the box. As far as the rest of it goes, overall, I find the Moco touring platform to be the best touring bike out there for me. I say that having owned pretty much every brand out there, including a number of BMWs Perfect? No. Very capable? Yes.

Originally Posted by LA VIC
You might want to look at that annual report again. Honda sold over 9,500,000 units world wide in 2013. Sold 7,500,000 in Asia alone.
Yeah, and 90% of those bikes were probably under 250 cc. Seriously, who gives a rip? Go for a long ride in the USA and most of the people waving at you heading in the opposite direction are on Harleys. There's a reason for that that goes well beyond the need to look cool or fit in. They make a great bike.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
I wanted to keep it simple for you. Since you have a hard time understand hp/tq curves & numbers, gearing and power to weight ratio.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring