Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring

Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
I am curious to see what the honest/unbiased opinions of forum members are on the strengths and weaknesses of the HD touring bikes for long distance touring. If you have experience with other brands for this purpose, all the better. In my opinion, all bikes do some things very well and fall short in some areas.

All things considered, my 12' Ultra Limited is a solid long distance bike. Of course, I have modified the crap out of it to make it comfortable for the long haul and perform better than stock. Here is my experience;

Strengths ;
Comfortable with flexibility for adjusting position while riding.
Great wind & weather protection.
Reliable
Comfortable passenger accommodations
Good stereo system for rider and passenger
Cargo capacity

Weaknesses;
Not enough power (even modified). Struggle to maintain high speed uphill while loaded 2-up. Lack of adequate passing power on highway.
Mediocre suspension
Lack of technology (i.e. electronic suspension, TPMS, adj. windshield, etc
Slightly unstable at high speed

What do you all think?
2012 FLHTK
GMR 107 / Stage 3 Heads / Genesis 577 Cam / SEPST / V&H Power Duals with Crusher Mellow Mufflers / PM Gasser AC / Bandit Sportsman Clutch.
Op something is not right. you have a stage 3, 107 and do not have enough power to climb hills or pass?
Perhaps the 577 cam, the tune or pipes/ My 10SG with stock 96 can pass going up hill with 2 up.
suspension? with all those mods another 1000 and you can have great suspension.

Last edited by 1Canuck; 07-14-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:10 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,500 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Sounds like the comparison was between the HD and the bimmer.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKZen
Sounds like the comparison was between the HD and the bimmer.
This thread was not meant as a comparison between anything really. Just wanted to get everyone's take on the HD's overall performance on l long trips. Many good posts here.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
Op something is not right. you have a stage 3, 107 and do not have enough power to climb hills or pass?
Perhaps the 577 cam, the tune or pipes/ My 10SG with stock 96 can pass going up hill with 2 up.
suspension? with all those mods another 1000 and you can have great suspension.
I agree with you...partially. When I had the 107 built it was a monster (120tq/ 112hp). When the hot weather arrived I needed a retune due to pinging. Lost some power. Shortly after, the wife and I headed to Amarillo fully loaded. The bike had trouble maintaining 85mph going uphill with all that weight (me 175/her 140). It was a bit frustrating to experience this after the 107 install.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:33 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I am curious to see what the honest/unbiased opinions of forum members are on the strengths and weaknesses of the HD touring bikes for long distance touring. If you have experience with other brands for this purpose, all the better. In my opinion, all bikes do some things very well and fall short in some areas.

All things considered, my 12' Ultra Limited is a solid long distance bike. Of course, I have modified the crap out of it to make it comfortable for the long haul and perform better than stock. Here is my experience;

Strengths ;
Reliable
Cargo capacity

Weaknesses;
Not enough power (even modified). Struggle to maintain high speed uphill while loaded 2-up. Lack of adequate passing power on highway.
Mediocre suspension

What do you all think?
Unbiased??? On this forum? LOL!

I agree with your strengths.
As far as your weaknesses:
power? I find mine is adequate for my riding (2 up loaded with gear)
Suspension? I agree - Progressive shocks makes it better - more options for more $
lack of technology? This is a strength in my book.
Stability? never really been an issue for me.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Strengths ;
Reliable
Cargo capacity

Weaknesses;
Mediocre suspension

What do you all think?
I love my bike for two up touring. There is not another brand on the market that can compete in my opinion. That's after at minimum a stage one or preferably a stage two modification and the stock suspension has to go. Rear shocks are next on my bucket list. I'm shocked (no pun intended) that the rear suspension was not one of the changes made to the 2014.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

I am curious to see what the honest/unbiased opinions of forum members...
I owned both the Honda GL1800 (Gold Wing) and currently an Ultra Classic.

As for power, the Gold Wing produced well over 100 hp and would easily outpace the Ultra. It ran smooth, quiet, and steady. It also got good mileage...many times getting just over 50 mpg's if not fully loaded. I think it had less luggage space then the Ultra Classic.

But it was also uncomfortable for me. While I did several Iron Butt rides on that bike, I had to stop more often because the English-style seating (feet more to the rear) would cramp my hips after a relatively short time in the saddle (yes, I had a custom made Russell seat).

Yes, my Ultra produces heat but so did the Gold Wing. With radiators on each side, the wind through the front of the machine exited the sides and past the driver. I put highway pegs on the Gold Wing but my legs went right over the radiator out flow and that would cook my legs quickly.

Yes, there are things I miss on the Gold Wing but I sold it when I realized I hardly ever road it taking the Ultra most of time.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

I love my bike for two up touring. There is not another brand on the market that can compete in my opinion. That's after at minimum a stage one or preferably a stage two modification and the stock suspension has to go. Rear shocks are next on my bucket list. I'm shocked (no pun intended) that the rear suspension was not one of the changes made to the 2014.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Weaknesses;
Mediocre suspension

What do you all think?
  1. You're not changing gear! Harleys are way over-geared so that they can meet EPA noise regulations. I don't know how often we have to repeat this, but change down when riding into a headwind, or on those long grinding climbs. It's just being kind to your engine.
  2. You can have enough power if you invest enough! A 120R or 124" will meet most requirements!
  3. We have solutions to substantially improve the suspension.
  4. Lack of technology is a plus! TPMS would be nice, that is the only addition I would like.
  5. I have travelled thousands of miles in the company of a variety of BMWs and other touring bikes and watched as they all get blown around a lot more than us.
  6. There is much to love in our Harleys and also a lot to find fault with. We have only two choices: change brand, or use the vast volume of expertise here on HDF to modify and improve our bikes. I've been doing the latter for two decades.....

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had to travel across the country on any unmodified bike i.e. stock motor, ergos, etc., I would choose the Victory Cross Country Tour over my Ultra. In stock form, it's a much more comfortable and better handling bike (for me).

You asked for honesty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of HD for Long Distance Touring