Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary gaskets: Quality all the same, or different?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Primary gaskets: Quality all the same, or different?

My '10 Ultra has been weeping 'oil' for some time and found a couple of different spots where it seemed to be leaking but never quite got a handle on it. I have now discovered that there is weeping/leak coming from the primary cover. It's been open up twice before, for a service and then when a nut backed off and fell into the primary. I suspect that the Harley dealer that did that repair might have not replaced the gasket.

Looking around online at places like Dennis Kirk, Drag Speacialties and eBay, I see a wide variety of prices for a single gasket or a gasket kit. Pretty much all the same, or do you 'get what you pay for'. For example, Harley charges almost $40. Is it best to go OEM or after-market okay, or maybe even better? Single gasket, or a complete kit for later use?

What do you recommend and from what seller? If I'm going to spend the money for a new gasket and fluid, I'd like to get it right the first time. (Which usually NEVER happens!)

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 07-15-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem and the OEM gasket was $40. I bought a Cometic gasket which seemed to be better quality. NOT...freaking thing leaks. Not much but enough to mess up my polishing rag.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
JohnCA58
Tourer

I would check with James or Cometic and order the edge molded steel gasket, they cost more but reusable many times over. Harley quit making them that way. seen a guy reuse the Harley one for 10 years. they do cost more.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The cometic gasket I used was about $15. and it had the blue silicon bonding all the way around. Still leaked. Be sure to check torque on all the bolts. Including the one that you have to remove the floor board to get to.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the primary case could be slightly warped or have a gap between the surfaces.

get a Evo "paper" type gasket from the indy shop.
the evo and twincam touring can use same primary gasket.

the steel bonded gasket cannot deform enough to fill a gap, the paper can.

cometic, james etc etc.
$15 or so.

mike

Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have always bought the cheapo's off ebay, never had one leak. Last time I bought a 2 pack of them for a 1/3 of the price from HD.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
I have always bought the cheapo's off ebay, never had one leak. Last time I bought a 2 pack of them for a 1/3 of the price from HD.
I've seen some on eBay, and some are not so cheap, or at least not what I would have expected. Got a specific seller or brand on eBay that you'd recommend?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't know what nut "backed off" inside the primary, but that sounds interesting.

Regardless, there is a tightening sequence in the service manual for the primary bolts. Get a good metallic paper covered gasket, then follow that sequence and torque to specs. That's why a good inch pound torque wrench is worth it's weight. Guessing at these torques can leave you scratching your head over another leak.

The OEM gasket can be used over and over if you handle it gently when removed. I have re-used mine at least 5 times with no problems.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Dupe post. Dang website is screwed up..

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 07-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Don't know what nut "backed off" inside the primary, but that sounds interesting.
Since I'm no mechanic I'd have to dig out the repair order to be specific. I do remember that after a service and clutch adjustment, a nut wasn't properly torqued, backed off and then came all the way off. I lost my clutch, just like a broken cable. When the service manager opened it up, he turned the bolt a few times and the clutch was back. Simple fix, and back on the road. Oh, the bad news though was the nut had dropped into the primary and he had to open it up and I had to leave the bike for a few days for the repair and then go back and get it. At least that's the way I remember things.

Quick Reply: Primary gaskets: Quality all the same, or different?