Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome! I want to swap my oil out too on my 12" Road King Custom shocks and was going to use my hitch on my Silverado and jack trick. I'm about your size so I'm looking for a smoother ride. I think it rides good now but feel there is room for improvement.

Anyone know how much oil the 12" shocks need?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another way of removing oil. Leave bike on the ground remove 1-shock and mount it upside down. Remove other shock. Pump the bike several times to remove oil. This is assuming the air line is removed and the barb and hose attached.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 AM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind doing this, but I don't have a jack or a press to drain/fill the shock with oil. That's my problem I guess...

Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM
CBRTRX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
That's awesome! I want to swap my oil out too on my 12" Road King Custom shocks and was going to use my hitch on my Silverado and jack trick. I'm about your size so I'm looking for a smoother ride. I think it rides good now but feel there is room for improvement.

Anyone know how much oil the 12" shocks need?
I just did my 12" shocks. I removed all of the oil, each shock had exactly 12.5 oz in them.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderman
I wouldn't mind doing this, but I don't have a jack or a press to drain/fill the shock with oil. That's my problem I guess...
You don't need a press if you have a Mity Vac (or equivalent) brake bleeding pump.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRTRX
I just did my 12" shocks. I removed all of the oil, each shock had exactly 12.5 oz in them.
Thanks! What year is your bike? Mines an 05.

Sorry to hijack this thread!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
Another way of removing oil. Leave bike on the ground remove 1-shock and mount it upside down. Remove other shock. Pump the bike several times to remove oil. This is assuming the air line is removed and the barb and hose attached.
I've heard all sorts of ways to do this and many different contraptions to accomplish the task but this is about the simplest and best idea I've seen. Might be better with a length of hose attached though to cut down on the mess.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM
rsscoggins
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you use fork oil or suspension oil? I am told there is a difference?

Do you have the details of the Maxima you purchased?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree, shock oil and suspension oil are the same. Guys have used fork oil in shocks without a problem.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 AM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderman
I just read an article( made copy) do not remember from where ( Senior moments I quest) and he used the Harley air pump or an aftermarket version to place pressure(40-50#) on the shocks so when he pulled the air line this let the fluid come out in a controlled way. He was able to measure the old oil so to be sure to replace the same amount. The article stated that both shocks had to be taken off and re-plumb on the bench as if they were on the Bike so to keep the air system closed. I know not very well explained but I have not used this method yet but will. I have the instructions at home if anyone is interested and can not find the site ride safe.

Quick Reply: Shock Oil Change