Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck-Lite Good Night Lights - Not Daytime Lights

Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

There you go!
TLP7 all the way!
Correct aim to maximize the benefit is CRITICAL.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I always run my TL7 setup on bright during daylight with a Kriss high-beam modulator. It is VERY noticeable. I get flashed a lot and many left-lane-hogs move over to the right. I have had several cars pull off the road on 2 lane highways. I guess that means they saw me and many think I am the law.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Like others have stated, the lights not annoying me and cars see it so my light is always on high beam during the day. My light must be aimed correctly since it lights up reflective road sign during the day......I'm also using ClearWater LED lights on my lower forks which make the TL look weak, so there's no excuse for someone not seeing me day or night...Play with the adjustment, you may be pleasantly surprised....

Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Still looks like you can't see it from off angles to me and not as good visibility for the guy making the left turn in front of you. I wish we would stop talking about adjusting the light, I adjust a headlight light for night time use only never for daytime the primary function of a headlight is to allow me to safely ride down the road at night and I have no complaints during the night.

I know head on it looks great.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563

Still looks like you can't see it from off angles to me and not as good visibility for the guy making the left turn in front of you. I wish we would stop talking about adjusting the light, I adjust a headlight light for night time use only never for daytime the primary function of a headlight is to allow me to safely ride down the road at night and I have no complaints during the night.

I know head on it looks great.
Like I stated in my post, the pictures don't really do it any justice. The iPad seems to filter out any glare that you see with your eyes. Looking directly from in front it was blinding to the naked eye but the pictures come out as a white image. I could see it from an angle every bit as good as the stock dual halogen.

The person who posted about the "color of the LED's" being close to actual daylight may be on to something. I noticed this the past couple of days paying attention to oncoming traffic. There are even a lot of cages that are now using LED's and they are not as noticeable from an angle due to color.

But no matter which light is being used, I don't think the typical left hand turn situation is from not seeing the bike. I believe that it has more to do with them having difficulty judging distance and speed of any bike. I always expect them to turn in front of me and do my best to put myself in a situation to react accordingly.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
I always run my TL7 setup on bright during daylight with a Kriss high-beam modulator. It is VERY noticeable. I get flashed a lot and many left-lane-hogs move over to the right. I have had several cars pull off the road on 2 lane highways. I guess that means they saw me and many think I am the law.
I agree if I run with High beams I get flashed too and have been brake checked on the highway from cars in front of me with the light in their rear-view mirror and some move over faster too.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I too, run with the high beam on the TL7 during the day. I noticed immediately after putting it on that more people were pulling out in front of me. I don't care if do annoy some folks with it. I did have one idiot coming toward me on a two lane cross over the center line at me. That's when I knew it must really be bright.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2NAHNTR
I did have one idiot coming toward me on a two lane cross over the center line at me. That's when I knew it must really be bright.
That's when I knew it too and with the amount of miles I put on I started to think this thing might get me killed too.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 2NAHNTR
I don't care if do annoy some folks with it.
great attitude.

You may run into your "twin brother", who'll probably throw a quarter at you...

I know that I may not always respond in a gracious manner to a driver who blinds me...I may switch on my high beams...or for following traffic re-aim my mirrors and drive like they aren't there

bright lights can cause target fixation- more and more PD cars get hit on the shoulder as the carnival ride lights they use can blind drivers.

on many MC headlights, high beam may be narrower angle than low beam.
I usually run high beam as it is legal here in AZ, but the rider should be aware that they may be less visible than they think...even if the driver is looking which is often not the case.

modulator can be good but will shorten the life of a halogen bulb- I'm not sure what effect they might have on an LED

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-28-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
I agree if I run with High beams I get flashed too and have been brake checked on the highway from cars in front of me with the light in their rear-view mirror and some move over faster too.
I think reactions to my lights are due to the fact they haven't seen many/any bikes with the headlight flashing due to the modulator. Modulated high beams are legal on bikes in all 50 states.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck-Lite Good Night Lights - Not Daytime Lights