Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new Streetglide won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Stull1je
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Op here

Originally Posted by Sharpie
I would like to know the outcome of this problem the OP was experiencing but since her first post was when she had the problem and all 8 of her post were on this thread, she must have been only seeking help at that point in time.
No, I wasn't too embarassed to post. I dropped the bike off LAST Monday... After not hearing anything from the dealer, I called Friday and was told they hadn't touched it yet. I placed a call to Harley customer care and said I was furious with the dealership and Harley in general. Within an hour, the technician at the dealership called me back and said they would "Get right on it." So the Harley dude must've lit a fire under him.
Anyway, today is Thursday and I JUST got a phone call from the dealership diagnosing the problem-- y'all ready??

About a month ago I had aftermarket grips installed AT A HARLEY DEALERSHIP. I guess during installation, they shorted the entire wiring in the right handlebar. So when I tried to hit the Run switch, it wasn't registering.
Pretty simple.

If anyone is wondering, those who messed up the handlebars were at Pikes Peak HD in Colorado Springs, CO. Funny enough the reason I didn't install the damn grips myself was I was afraid to short anything.

And the dealership that diagnosed the simple problem (slowly but surely) was Flaming Gorge HD in Green River, WY.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Really? I've not heard this before. Interesting.
are you kidding me about moving the bike around the corner to shield it from a cell phone tower?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

There's an old adage in the automotive service business, and it applies here too .... "Always check the last service, repair or addition before getting in too deep" ... Glad you got your scooter fixed ... What a pain in the a$$ it must have been.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Stull1je
6th Gear

There's an old adage in the automotive service business, and it applies here too .... "Always check the last service, repair or addition before getting in too deep" ... Glad you got your scooter fixed ... What a pain in the a$$ it must have been.

Duly noted. After a month of it functioning properly, it didn't even cross my mind as an issue. I had other aftermarket goodies like stage 1 done at the same time. New grips weren't the first on my list of potential issues but lesson definitely learned. Pain in the a** is an understatement and I'm really bummed about missing out on 2 weeks of amazing riding weather.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Put it behind you brother ... you're not far from Sturgis ... Hop on and go for a ride, the "scenery" is amazing. Good Luck

Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Stull1je
No, I wasn't too embarassed to post. I dropped the bike off LAST Monday... After not hearing anything from the dealer, I called Friday and was told they hadn't touched it yet. I placed a call to Harley customer care and said I was furious with the dealership and Harley in general. Within an hour, the technician at the dealership called me back and said they would "Get right on it." So the Harley dude must've lit a fire under him.
Anyway, today is Thursday and I JUST got a phone call from the dealership diagnosing the problem-- y'all ready??

About a month ago I had aftermarket grips installed AT A HARLEY DEALERSHIP. I guess during installation, they shorted the entire wiring in the right handlebar. So when I tried to hit the Run switch, it wasn't registering.
Pretty simple.

If anyone is wondering, those who messed up the handlebars were at Pikes Peak HD in Colorado Springs, CO. Funny enough the reason I didn't install the damn grips myself was I was afraid to short anything.

And the dealership that diagnosed the simple problem (slowly but surely) was Flaming Gorge HD in Green River, WY.
I'm glad they got it going, don't be to hard on them because it's easy to do. Ask me how I know. Luckily mine was wouldn't start to leave my garage so I took it back apart and found the pinched wire.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Stull1je
6th Gear

Put it behind you brother ... you're not far from Sturgis ... Hop on and go for a ride, the "scenery" is amazing. Good Luck
Thanks much. PS I'm a Michigan native, grew up in Clare, met my wife at Central Michigan University and lived in Mt Pleasant for some time before hitting the road as construction contractor and seeing this beautiful country. Michigan will always have my heart though!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Stull1je
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
I'm glad they got it going, don't be to hard on them because it's easy to do. Ask me how I know. Luckily mine was wouldn't start to leave my garage so I took it back apart and found the pinched wire.
I'm glad it was a simple fix, too. Leaving now to go pick it up from the dealer and make up for some lost time!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:05 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Glade your up in running again, now go out enjoy your ride. I had a local dealer change out my grips, switch housings, master cylinder, and hydraulic reservoir, when I picked up the bike my fuel pump would come on in both the off and run position. I understand that things happen, but dealers really need to recheck their work before handing back a costumers bike. What ever happen to taking pride in ones work? Production, production, production.