Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new Streetglide won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by GHC
Is there a cell tower nearby? They have been known to interfere with the FOBs. Push the bike around the corner of a building to shield it and try again.
Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Really? I've not heard this before. Interesting.
I've heard others mention this, but have never had an issue with it.
Have parked close to cell towers without any issues.

And before I would be pushing a big heavy touring bike around, I would just enter the over ride code to bypass the security system.

If it starts then, you know it was the FOB (bad battery, or interference, etc).
If it still won't crank over, then it is not the FOB or any type of interference.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Really? I've not heard this before. Interesting.
True, it has happened to me with my push button activated style security. I thought my battery died, I could not dis arm the system. Luckily I know my security code.

The place I was parked in (at a bike rally) had many bikes suffering from the same thing. I was told by some others that the cell towered never by was the cause.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 AM
GHC
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer has numerous towers nearby and has signs posted instructing you what to do if your bike won't start. I had it happen to me in their lot.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by GHC
Is there a cell tower nearby? They have been known to interfere with the FOBs. Push the bike around the corner of a building to shield it and try again.
Originally Posted by RollaMo
I've heard others mention this, but have never had an issue with it.
Have parked close to cell towers without any issues.

And before I would be pushing a big heavy touring bike around, I would just enter the over ride code to bypass the security system.

If it starts then, you know it was the FOB (bad battery, or interference, etc).
If it still won't crank over, then it is not the FOB or any type of interference.
Originally Posted by steelerdude1
True, it has happened to me with my push button activated style security. I thought my battery died, I could not dis arm the system. Luckily I know my security code.

The place I was parked in (at a bike rally) had many bikes suffering from the same thing. I was told by some others that the cell towered never by was the cause.
I would have NEVER thought this would cause a problem. I stand educated.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Stull1je
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have NEVER thought this would cause a problem. I stand educated.
UPDATE:
Still no change / progress. We have been trying to do the security override but do not know the code. The sequence for finding the current code (the on/off ignition, plus turn signal sequence that we have looked up on here) is not working, so we can't find out the code to enter.

We are towing it to the nearest dealer tomorrow. 118 miles away, plus missing time from work, plus renting a trailer. Deep breaths. The technician I spoke to today suggested a relay or ignition switch problem. (Checked my local auto parts store and they do not carry relays).

Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the bike will not start HD is responsible to get the bike there. It is called a downed bike. Only problem may be the distance. They have a distance clause.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

You should try push starting the bike before doing all of that.

If you have a good battery, the fuel primes, and when you walk the bike around the parking lot there are no lights flashing, then it isn't the security system and possibly just the starter relay or related.
In that case there is a good possibility of just push starting it...

lp

Last edited by lp; 07-21-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
You should try push starting the bike before doing all of that.

If you have a good battery, the fuel primes, and when you walk the bike around the parking lot there are no lights flashing, then it isn't the security system and possibly just the starter relay or related.
In that case there is a good possibility of just push starting it...

lp
Pushing a Harley to start it is easier said than done on a flat parking lot but I agree with moving the bike to see if the security system detects the Fob. If the FOB is in your pocket when you move it them the blinkers will not flash. If the FOB isn't detected then they will alternate flashing.

If you bought the bike new and don't remember getting the dealer to put in a code for you, then the code is still the factory 11111 code.

Last edited by Sharpie; 07-21-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GHC
My dealer has numerous towers nearby and has signs posted instructing you what to do if your bike won't start. I had it happen to me in their lot.
Your dealer has signs telling you to push your bike around the corner to get out of the reach of cell tower signals to start your bike? I seriously doubt that dealer would sell many bikes that way. I know I'd be looking for another dealer, without cell towers nearby!

Stull1je...
Leaving it in a parking lot at a convenience store a few more nights, just may 'fix' the problem for you! Then the insurance company can buy you a new bike, that hopefully doesn't have the same prob!

Seriously, hope you get to the bottom of it all...

Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

What I would do... Given that you already changed fob battery.
1. Move the bike
2. Flick run/stop switch several times
3. Hold clutch in when starting (even if in neutral)

Another lesson on the importance of learning the security override procedure BEFORE leaving the dealership the first time. And practice it so it becomes second nature.

Quick Reply: Brand new Streetglide won't start