Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM
ultrahack
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good deal or not?

Stopped by the local dealer today and tried to work a deal on a 2014 Limited.
I know I might be able to negotiate a better deal in a few weeks when the new models hit the floor, but I thought I'd test the water, so here's the deal.

trading my 2012 Ultra
two tone big blue and black
abs, security, 7,000 miles
vance and hines true duals, and monster rounds
screaming eagle ac, tts tuner
hd chrome brake and clutch levers
hd shifter linkage
hd headlight and taillight trim rings
hd luggage rack

I'd be trading my bike and $11k for a 2014 two tone limited,
this is the otd price including tax (6.35%) title, reg. transfer.
I didn't sign, I think I might be able to do better. What do you guys think?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I saw, that isn't too bad. Your trade is retailing in the $15,000 range across the country (based on sold listings for the past 90 days on ebay). There is a flood of pre 2014 bikes in the dealerships, and the auction places due to all the trades.

The MOCO incentive to the dealerships on trades has ended, and there won't be any differences in the 2014 vs 2015 limiteds. With that knowledge the dealerships in about 2 weeks when the new black book comes out (the 2 near me said anyway) the prices on the retail for the pre 2014 touring line will all drop about 2-5k across the the touring line due to the flood of used bikes.

The dealership will want to turn your trade ASAP, and the riding season is coming to an end in about 60 days in your state I would guess. Given this information your trade will need to sell at a low retail to turn it. Bikes are still going for MSRP or above here, so that seems like a pretty good deal from what I have seen.

The additional $11,000 to get the 2014 is a low price especially OTD, given I don't suspect they are giving much for you trade. This would based on 60 months, 4.5% interest rate and nothing calculated for TT&L about $205.00 per month to get a new 2014. $6.83 per day, yea I would do it. I can spend more than that on lunch easily and not have as much fun.

Last edited by Highwayman-AL; 07-20-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
From what I saw, that isn't too bad. Your trade is retailing in the $15,000 range across the country (based on sold listings for the past 90 days on ebay). There is a flood of pre 2014 bikes in the dealerships, and the auction places due to all the trades.

The MOCO incentive to the dealerships on trades has ended, and there won't be any differences in the 2014 vs 2014 limiteds. With that knowledge the dealerships in about 2 weeks when the new black book comes out (the 2 near me said anyway) they prices on the retail for the pre 2014 will all drop about 2-5k across the the touring line due to the flood of used bikes.

The dealership will want to turn your trade ASAP, and the riding season is coming to an end in about 60 days in your state I would guess. Given this information your trade will need to sell at a low retail to turn it. Bikes are still going for MSRP or above here, so that seems like a pretty good deal from what I have seen.
Several accurate statements here: The pre Rushmore touring models have flooded the used market and have driven the value down several thousand dollars. I have not seen the late model FL's at this low retail.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 PM
RickDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultrahack
Stopped by the local dealer today and tried to work a deal on a 2014 Limited.
I know I might be able to negotiate a better deal in a few weeks when the new models hit the floor, but I thought I'd test the water, so here's the deal.

trading my 2012 Ultra
two tone big blue and black
abs, security, 7,000 miles
vance and hines true duals, and monster rounds
screaming eagle ac, tts tuner
hd chrome brake and clutch levers
hd shifter linkage
hd headlight and taillight trim rings
hd luggage rack

I'd be trading my bike and $11k for a 2014 two tone limited,
this is the otd price including tax (6.35%) title, reg. transfer.
I didn't sign, I think I might be able to do better. What do you guys think?
It seems like a dealer could shave a couple more thousand from the selling price considering how nice your trade is and where we are in the model year. I settled on $20,000 including tax OTD with a trade in I legitimately valued at $4900. I would shop a couple more dealers if yo have time.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Ouch! A 2 year old bike with 7,000 miles and a couple thousand in extras takes an $11k hit, makes it more like $13k. Double ouch!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

My 13 Ultra is for sale, but I'm not giving it away....it can sit in the garage for me to ride.....
Prices will level out soon...not everyone has to have the latest and greatest...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you should keep your current ride.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM
ultrahack
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, just to add I paid $20,250 for the bike new.
I bought it in September 0f 2012, it was sitting on the floor next to
the new 2013's and msrp. was 24 and change.

I've test driven a few 2014's and while they are a nice, I'm not
sure about taking the hit on the trade, but I'm also hesitant about
dropping any more money on the 2012.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

What does $11k get you? If its worth it then go for it but the math seems a little off. That might be the right prices but $11k? Write down what you get that you don't have now and price the stuff out by value or what you thinks its worth. You may end up with a $5k toilet seat lid in there.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 AM
pcwizard
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddie was just down here and rented a 2014 Street Glide. For what its worth, he hated the hydraulic clutch. Just saying. . .

Quick Reply: Good deal or not?