Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nashville

Morning all, heading to Nashville for a few days then on to Maggie valley for a few days. Looks like helmets are mandatory in both states, Tenn. and NC. We were there ten years ago or so, man, I don't remember needing a hard hat. Selective memory I guess. Good thing I checked, here in Illinois hard hats are not required. How are the law dogs with cheater helmets? Probably like anywhere else, ride like an *** hat, add a ticket. Just checking in. Later

Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I just rode through Maggie Valley in my Skull Crush non DOT. No issues.

Maybe they were fooled by the DOT sticker I put on it.

Seriously, I dont think you're ever going to get pulled over only because some LEO wants to check your helmet, without another reason to pull you over.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

We have been through those areas several times, no issues with LEO or with helmets, which are questionable in appearance. Just have something on your head and you should be all good.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
Morning all, heading to Nashville for a few days then on to Maggie valley for a few days. Looks like helmets are mandatory in both states, Tenn. and NC. We were there ten years ago or so, man, I don't remember needing a hard hat. Selective memory I guess. Good thing I checked, here in Illinois hard hats are not required. How are the law dogs with cheater helmets? Probably like anywhere else, ride like an *** hat, add a ticket. Just checking in. Later
I just got back from Tennessee, great riding. Make sure you ride Hwy 129 (Deals Gap/Dragon Tail). Yes Tennessee does require a helmet. Actually they require a DOT certified helmet. Checkout this attached link. I asked the same question a month ago and got the legal definition of the law. Needless to say I wore a DOT helmet during my trip.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-sticker.html

Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
AR15TomJefferson
Novice

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I just rode through Maggie Valley in my Skull Crush non DOT. No issues.

Maybe they were fooled by the DOT sticker I put on it.

Seriously, I dont think you're ever going to get pulled over only because some LEO wants to check your helmet, without another reason to pull you over.
The exception is the Dragon during a crack down. They'll ticket you and if you give them flak not let you back on your bike.

Death rate on the Dragon this year is 10 so far. That's more than any year and we're only half a season in. Last death, yep, no helmet. (64 on a Goldwing)

Seriously you might as well say "How often will they pull my bike over for the brake light being out." Around the Smoky's, they look for helmets and those DOT stickers. Catch a road block, bad ju ju.

Oh forgot to mention, my last ride in the mountains was yesterday. I live here.

Last edited by AR15TomJefferson; 07-21-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

Thanks guys, how about North Carolina. I went to the AMA site to find some info. The Tar Heel State helmet law is really cloudy. I'm doing a bunch of interstate riding so I will bring the legal hat. Once we land riding with out a hat would be nice. No biggie, when you get used to not wearing one I kind of forget others do.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
Thanks guys, how about North Carolina. I went to the AMA site to find some info. The Tar Heel State helmet law is really cloudy. I'm doing a bunch of interstate riding so I will bring the legal hat. Once we land riding with out a hat would be nice. No biggie, when you get used to not wearing one I kind of forget others do.
Not sure what is so cloudy about NC -Required by law; North Carolina General Statutes, 20-140.4

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=33

Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

Maybe my eye were cloudy. Did you read it. They sent it back to the NC Supreme Court for clarification

Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by AR15TomJefferson
The exception is the Dragon during a crack down. They'll ticket you and if you give them flak not let you back on your bike.

Death rate on the Dragon this year is 10 so far. That's more than any year and we're only half a season in. Last death, yep, no helmet. (64 on a Goldwing)

Seriously you might as well say "How often will they pull my bike over for the brake light being out." Around the Smoky's, they look for helmets and those DOT stickers. Catch a road block, bad ju ju.

Oh forgot to mention, my last ride in the mountains was yesterday. I live here.
I wonder what percentage are on the weekend. I bet a lot. I will not ride it on the weekend. Idiots and mayhem!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If the tourists insist on riding the dragon, although why I dont know as its not the best road we have................Ride it during the week. During the week you tend to see less speed traps, less wanna be racers on their cute little rockets and less families in mini vans.

I live about 40 minutes from 129 so...........................

Quick Reply: Nashville