Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Voltage At Rear Brake Switch? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Lantern
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Voltage At Rear Brake Switch? HELP!

I am having an issue with my brake light and cruise control on my 2011 Ultra Limited. While riding this week end my cruise control stopped working. The orange light comes on but the cruise control will not engage and will not turn green. I also noticed my brake light does not work when using front or rear brake. After checking for codes and then reading hear on the forum everything seem to point at the rear brake switch failing.

So today I did a little trouble shooting. I pulled the two wires connected to the brake switch loose and then used a jumper wire between the two and still no brake light.

I then removed the jumper wire and used a voltage tester to confirm I had power to the switch. I did have power but only 7.4 volts not 12 volts. Does anyone have any idea why?

I then hooked the hot wire to the rear brake switch and put my voltage tester on the other prong coming out of the rear brake switch. When I depressed the brake pedal the power went through the brake switch and did every time I tested it, but again the voltage was only 7.4 volts not 12 volts.

My conclusion is that the rear brake switch is working fine, but the low voltage is causing the issue with my brake light and in turn is causing my cruise control not to engage.

What do you guys think? Can anyone give me a direction to go and maybe what to troubleshoot? I hate to take it to the dealer for something I could fix. I am just at the point I am not sure which way to go. I know someone out there can point me in the right direction. HELP!!

Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

the brake light is operated by a relay.

get a wiring diagram and trace through you'll see where the relay is & what it does.

and if that is not the problem, you'll be able to trace the primary circuit to check that it is correct

one of the more common owner induced problems is breaking the front brake light switch- see manual.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-21-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

There were some issues with switch failure. Contact the dealer and ask if yours was involved.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Lantern
Cruiser

Yes there was a recall on the rear brake switch but my was changed out around three years ago. I'll but they are done with me. Don't you think you?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,611 Likes on 4,619 Posts

do what MK said, start going backward to see the voltage drop, also check all battery connections for tightness. measure wire resistance from switch to relay to make sure wire isn't grounded somewhere. read the wiring diagram. switch isn't the problem. use your jumper to go from battery to switch hit the brake, and see if light works, (or use volt meter for readings) You have a voltage drop somewhere

Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Lantern
Cruiser

Thanks mkguitar

I will try to find a wiring diagram and try to check the relays. I haven't check the front brake switch because I haven,t taken anything apart there and I understand that is when it is more likely to be broken.
I am familiar to what you are speaking of.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Lantern
Cruiser

ok HarleyCharley I will run a wire from the battery to the switch in the am and I will let you know.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Brake voltage

Where was the negative probe on the meter when you got 7 volts? Was it on a good ground?

Even with 7 volts, it should turn the light on. Have someone step on the brake and see what the voltage is with all of the wires to the switch hooked up.

If the voltage goes down to zero when you do that, it means the problem is before the switch. If it stays constant, the problem is after the switch.