Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else with Kill Switch issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My issue is that I seldom use the off/run switch. When I did, I was on vacation and it started a cluster of troubles. Once I got the contacts working again (by cycling the switch several times) I vowed not to use it again. That was over 10k miles ago.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by specialidiot
I am on my 3rd summer riding my 2002 Road King. Every once in a while, maybe every 75 starts or so, it just does not start, nothing fires or anything. If I cycle the kill switch, it starts right off the bat.

Last weekend I was on a ride and downshifting while approaching a corner, and the engine died as engaged the clutch. While I coasted to a stop I tried to start it a couple of times and nothing. After I came to a stop, I cycled the kill switch and again - started right off!

Has anyone experienced this? I'm a little worried that some day cycling the switch might not do it. If I squirt into the switch housing with contact cleaner, would that help?
The handlebar run/stop switch is a sealed switch,there is not much you can do but replace it.be advised when you buy the replacement it will also come with the start switch as they are joined together.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM
specialidiot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NELS
'10 RK , Same problem...Spray into the switch with contact cleaner available at Radio Shack.
I have some cleaner, so you just sprayed into the seams and around the switch housing?

Because:

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
The handlebar run/stop switch is a sealed switch,there is not much you can do but replace it.be advised when you buy the replacement it will also come with the start switch as they are joined together.

So based on this it seams the dollar bill or contact cleaner method isn't going to work.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Never use the kill switch...Wanna know why?

'Cause sure as dogcrap stinks in July, one day your gonna go to hit the kill switch, & hit the starter instead, and the sound it makes will give you nightmares for weeks. You'll also prolly destroy your starter drive, ring gear, or worse.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

I have some cleaner, so you just sprayed into the seams and around the switch housing?

Because:

So based on this it seams the dollar bill or contact cleaner method isn't going to work.
You can take it apart, but it's not made to be opened and serviced. I do see numerous threads and videos complaining about it not working well and suffering from intermittent loss of continuity when wiggled/flexed.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Because:

OK , Maybe it was just coincidence !