Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Ethanol Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

We have a couple locations in my area selling Premium E0. We can only get it in premium grade, costs more than E10 premium, but at least it is out there.
It's all I'll put in my boat gas tank (Marina charges $5.50/ gallon!) due to water concerns.

I've been running E10 premium all summer in the Ultra Limited, and have not experienced any problems with it.

Since E10 has slightly less energy per volume due to the ethanol, I'd expect to get somewhat better MPG's on the ethanol free stuff, but I'm not convinced it'd be enough of an increase to offset the higher cost.

I've been running the E10 in my cars, trucks, lawn mowers, snowblower, pressure washer, weed terminator, etc..... Don't recall any fuel releated issues with any of them.

Minnesota is right in the heart of corn country, so I think whiskey gas is here to stay.

Hopefully they get off the E15 train. E85 is around all over, but I don't run any vehicles that can use the stuff.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I always prefer buying non-ethanol as long as it is 91 octane. It is readily available in WI, for 40 cents more than regular. Just took a trip through Michigan, UP, and LP and it was rare and overpriced when I did find it ($1.00 more then regular).
I didn't notice much difference running on ethanol blend.
The only time I will absolutely not use ethanol blend is for winter storage. That stuff is crap.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Since E10 has slightly less energy per volume due to the ethanol, I'd expect to get somewhat better MPG's on the ethanol free stuff, but I'm not convinced it'd be enough of an increase to offset the higher cost.
My 14 Limited averages 38mpg on E10 and 42mpg on pure gas. That's about 10% better mileage. It cost about 20 cents per gallon more then the E10. That's about 5% more. So the pure gas comes out cheaper in the long run.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Luckily for me there is a station that sells pure gas less than half a mile from my house and another just a mile or so from there. Rarely, do I ever put ethanol in my bike.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

I would rather pure gas... but my local non ethanol peddlers only have 87 and 89 octane.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Been running E 0 in my RKC since I bought it 3 years ago. Only time I don't is when I go to Daytona, then I fill up with E 0 when I'm home & refill often, so there is always SOME E 0 in there to offset the ethanol.

Don't notice any power difference, but my mileage improved dramatically when I mad the switcheroo a few years ago.

I have heard that gummint has studied ethanol fuel & have concluded it is not worth making it, because it causes more pollution to make a gallon than a gallon of puregas. Hopefully we will see the end of ethanol soon.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gas up here

I use my local Shell gas in Vancouver, 3 blocks from home.
Our hottest weather is normally about 85 deg F and then only for a week at a time. Usually, I use the mid-range fuel and it seems to work fine.
I have bookmarked the list of gas stations and I'll put it on the iPad for when I'm traveling out of province.
Thanks folks.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by road king Q
I would rather pure gas... but my local non ethanol peddlers only have 87 and 89 octane.
I'd rather run 89 pure gas than 92 E/10.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 626 Likes on 454 Posts

The OP is in Florida, therefore pretty close to sea level. There is a better chance he may need the 91 because of his low elevation. Run your fuel pretty low and put in a couple of gallons of 89 and try it. If it pings, top off with 91 and that should minimize your exposure to knock/ping. If the 89 works, you can save a little money at fill up time from now on.

In part, ethanol is used to raise the octane of lower octane gasoline. In storage, the ethanol and gas separate. When you get to the lower octane gasoline, you may get all of the problems generated by low octane fuel. Run pure gas every chance you have, and especially near the end of the riding season.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I REALLY wish I could get it here, my damn weedwackers is always acting up on the crap they pass off as gas around here.
If I don't use it for even as little as 2 weeks, the carb is all clogged up
with a hard fine power like substance, plus gummy deposits.
Gas additives help some, but are no cure.

They want $10 a QUART for purefuel around here, at sears or the tractor store.
That's about $5 for every time I run the weedwacker!
I HATE CORN FUEL!!

Quick Reply: Non Ethanol Gas