Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather vs Textile jackets

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and ride with the textile the most. Its waterproof and has made it through some pretty torrential downpours and kept me both warm and dry.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I love my leathers, I have a full textile suit from Olympia that is warmer for winter riding than any leather that I've ever had. I used it frequently when I rode back and forth to the office, 120mi roundtrip, now I work from home so enjoy my leathers more...nuthin like a good piece of critter hide for comfort!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
DRJ1911
Cruiser

I have both also but mostly wear textile. I find textile just as warm and much lighter.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I expect more than warmth and wind protection from a motorcycle jacket. The abrasion properties of textile, does not compare to leather.

I'll admit to not using textile for more than 10 years, so maybe new stuff is different.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Have worn nothing but leather jackets for years.........However, I just bought a textile jacket and have been very impressed with it thus far. Just rode back from Gettysburg, Pa in slight rain a good portion of the way and I was warm and dry.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

I have worn both leather and textile. I have textile now and love it. Won't go back.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Radman2006
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought an HD textile jacket last year and will never go back. A lot lighter than leather, great wind protection, water proof and warm.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Kinda a fashion thing? I have a old Scout leather jacket I love and wear on the harley. I wear textile on my other bikes. Both work well but when it gets hot the textile mesh goes on no mater the bike.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Limited
Do the textile/cordura jackets block the wind as good as leather? Are they as warm and has anyone tried or have both? I am wanting a jacket that is warm and will keep the wind out. I just recently bought two leather jackets with removable Thinsulate liners for me and her. They are kind of heavy and very bulky to pack. I don't mind the weight at all while I am wearing it but biggest issue is just the bulk of them. Just wanting something that is warm and easier to pack and was looking at the textile jackets but I don't want to give up much warmth. In the spring and fall, we will ride in temps down into the 30's and have rode in the 20's. Thanks.
Check out 4 season, adventure tour style jackets. They have venting for warm weather but work exceptionally well in cold weather and are water proof. Any decent jacket is going to have some bulk though as a good textile jacket is made of heavy Cordura for abrasion resistance and will contain armor in the fore arm, shoulder and back. It's the only jacket you need to bring when you are touring.

Something like this should be good down to ~40F (an hour to two at continuous highway speeds) with liner installed but cool up to ~85F-90F with liner removed and vents opened. I use mine below freezing but much below 40F I like to use my heated liner under it. That's with no windshield. With a windshield or on shorter city rides, you might find you can get by without the heated liner in freezing temps.

As a general rule textile jackets are more practical and comfortable and have a wider temp range. Just avoid the cheap polyester jackets as they have minimal abrasion protection. Cordura is 5-10 x more abrasion resistant for the same denier (fabric weight) but you pay more for it. Rev'It, Danese, Klim and Olympia all make high quality jackets.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...FUMLMgod_C8AiQ

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-2-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...-misano-jacket

Last edited by fat_tony; 07-23-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harley Limited
Do the textile/cordura jackets block the wind as good as leather? Are they as warm and has anyone tried or have both? I am wanting a jacket that is warm and will keep the wind out. I just recently bought two leather jackets with removable Thinsulate liners for me and her. They are kind of heavy and very bulky to pack. I don't mind the weight at all while I am wearing it but biggest issue is just the bulk of them. Just wanting something that is warm and easier to pack and was looking at the textile jackets but I don't want to give up much warmth. In the spring and fall, we will ride in temps down into the 30's and have rode in the 20's. Thanks.
I have a Heine Gericke cold weather textile suit...warmer than leather and 1/3 the weight.

Quick Reply: Leather vs Textile jackets