Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather vs Textile jackets

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i love my leather in the winter, but in the warmer months, textile is the way to be. lighter, cooler, comfier

Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Check out 4 season, adventure tour style jackets. They have venting for warm weather but work exceptionally well in cold weather and are water proof. Any decent jacket is going to have some bulk though as a good textile jacket is made of heavy Cordura for abrasion resistance and will contain armor in the fore arm, shoulder and back. It's the only jacket you need to bring when you are touring.

Something like this should be good down to ~40F (an hour to two at continuous highway speeds) with liner installed but cool up to ~85F-90F with liner removed and vents opened. I use mine below freezing but much below 40F I like to use my heated liner under it. That's with no windshield. With a windshield or on shorter city rides, you might find you can get by without the heated liner in freezing temps.

As a general rule textile jackets are more practical and comfortable and have a wider temp range. Just avoid the cheap polyester jackets as they have minimal abrasion protection. Cordura is 5-10 x more abrasion resistant for the same denier (fabric weight) but you pay more for it. Rev'It, Danese, Klim and Olympia all make high quality jackets.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...FUMLMgod_C8AiQ

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-2-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...-misano-jacket
I've got the Rev'it Sand 2 and really like it. It's far more versatile with the different liners that any leather jacket I've ever owned. Something to consider is that adventure touring style jackets don't pack small. With the armor in the shoulders and elbows I can just stuff my 3x Sand 2 into an empty saddle bag.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wore leather jackets, pants and chaps for years until switching to textile about ten years ago. I still wear the leathers occasionally for around town and day trips but almost always wear textile jacket and pants.

There are some advantages for leather. In the event of a get off, leather is more abrasion resistant and slides better. I have read that as textile slides, the fabric deteriorates and can snag on the pavement causing the wearer to tumble. Also, leather looks cleaner longer and ages well.

Textile jackets are much more versatile than leather. I have a mesh jacket and pants and use them for three seasons - down to the low 40's. The jacket has a waterproof and windproof liner and a quilted zip-in. All three layers can be worn together for warmth. The pants have waterproof and windproof liners and can be worn as over-pants with jeans. The liners take up very little space and with them stored in the tour-pak, I'm set for most any weather. Also, the jacket and pants have armor so I feel I'm pretty well protected.

The only disadvantages for the textile jackets is that they show the dirt a lot quicker than leather and the wind will tend to fray the sleeve fabric over time although I haven't seen that yet with the Olympia Motosports gear.

http://olympiamotosports.com/categor...log/mesh-tech/

Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have both and almost never wear the textile. When going on a trip I always take the leather. One point most have not addressed is packing. A textile jacket with armor takes up a lot more room than a leather jacket without armor. And there is no reason to have a textile jacket without armor unless it is just a rain jacket.

Leather is much more protective than textile when you eliminate the armor and leather is certainly as warm if you know how to layer.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I have both, and the textile stuff just works better. Adventure-style jackets work great, as long as you have enough torso to keep them from bunching up on you.

I wore my textile stuff through a tropical storm for 4 hours and stayed mostly dry.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Limited
Are they as warm and has anyone tried or have both? I am wanting a jacket that is warm and will keep the wind out. I just recently bought two leather jackets with removable Thinsulate liners for me and her. They are kind of heavy and very bulky to pack. I don't mind the weight at all while I am wearing it but biggest issue is just the bulk of them. Just wanting something that is warm and easier to pack and was looking at the textile jackets but I don't want to give up much warmth. In the spring and fall, we will ride in temps down into the 30's and have rode in the 20's. Thanks.
If you're riding in 20-30 degrees F, you need heated gear. That said, my nylon/textile jacket is essentially a heavy ski jacket with armor. It's WAY warmer than my leather and hooded sweatshirt combo but it's damn near as bulky with the armor and liner in it. It's also 3-4 pounds lighter. Either way, I wear leather over pants when it's cold.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

we have one closet in our house that is just riding jackets - leather and textile. Haven't worn any of the leathers in years.

1) HD "functional" textile jackets, are for the most part, crap. (excluding the fxrg but you get what you pay for). Most of the HD jackets I've tested had enough failures/issues to make it not suitable for its intended purpose. If I had to recommend one, it would be the illumination functional jacket - but not the pants - i've tested both - Jacket is acceptable but pants failed miserably
2) As a result of #1, I've moved away from Harley branded. My daily is an Olympia Motosport Airglide 3 (the 4 is out now). the Airglide 3 is a mesh jacket that comes with a 2 stage liner. Liner #1 is a windproof/waterproof liner. Liner #2 is a full sleeve quilted liner. Jacket can be worn without liners, or with one liner or both liners. and Surprisingly, with both liners it is not that bulky. Jacket also comes with full elbow, shoulder and back armor (love how HD jackets come with pockets for armor but you have to purchase separately in most cases.).
so, to answer you question about wind, the olympia air glide, with the wind/waterproof liner will keep the wind out. however, in mid-summer, i prefer not to keep it out so remove the liner and it is a mesh jacket with armor.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:50 AM
ElGigante
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both and both are armored. The leather is a fieldsheer perforated with zip out full liner. The textile is an icon with a zip out vest only. The leather rarely if ever gets worn.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

we have both, and the leather sits on the hanger.. for the most part the textile is more then enough for the riding we do, and i think it blocks more wind then the leather

Old 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I do most of my riding in the South and it is just to hot for a leather jacket, for me anyway. I own one but have only worn it once or twice. I have a light weight HD jacket that I wear most of the time when I wear a jacket. I'm extremely hot natured also.

Quick Reply: Leather vs Textile jackets