Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bagger: Exhaust Question

Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Midlife Rider44
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New Bagger: Exhaust Question

Started riding last year. First bike was a 94 wide glide. Loved riding and needed (ok, wanted) a touring bike. Just bought a 2011 Street Glide. Prior owner changed the stock pipes to the V & H Power Duals, but didn't do anything with the air cleaner. It's still stock.

With this setup, this bike is loud. Too loud for a touring bike in my opinion. In comparison, my wide glide has a Thunderheader, and this street glide is considerably louder. My question is this. If/When I swap out the air cleaner to get this bike more air, should I expect it to get quieter as a result? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife Rider44
My question is this. If/When I swap out the air cleaner to get this bike more air, should I expect it to get quieter as a result? Thanks.
No, that is not going to make it any quieter.

You didn't mention what kind of mufflers were on it?
I have the V&H Power Dual head pipes on mine with Rinehart 4" mufflers, and the sound is pretty good.
Some will think it is too loud, and some will think it is too quiet.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Air cleaner Will not change anything . Without knowing the Mufflers I can,t help ?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,723 Likes on 18,538 Posts

The air cleaner will have no effect on the level or quality of the exhaust note. It will, however lean out the scooter considerably necessitating a tuner ( or other device ) to enrichen the AFR ( Air Fuel Ratio )

Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No change in the exhaust by adding an air cleaner.... but if the air cleaner you install is anything like the one I just installed on mine it will make a lot of noise itself. Not sure I'm liking the suction noise. Rsd venturi 7

Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

the inexpensive way to quiet it down is to replace the mufflers ( "slip-ons" ) with a set of stock 2010+ HD mufflers. this will likely satisfy you for long days in the saddle.

If you want full control of the sound, a set of supertrapp supermegs slip ons or the made for screaming eagle fatshots.
Either can be altered for high flow, low exhaust note.

- I will assume that your V&H power dual headers have V&H mufflers on them- to my taste both the monster ovals and monster rounds are too loud for the rider, in addition the ovals project an annoying tinny rattle straight out the back ( my riding pal with that set up has to follow)

Your question quickly leads us to the usual follow on question....:
as noted above, an more open air cleaner will give you induction noise- I don't care as i keep my thighs to the tank- that blocks the noise

the advantage of the hi flow air cleaner ( with your hi flow header ( no cat) and pipes) is an additional 7 to 10 horsepower
best bang for the buck is the Ness Big Sucker w/ chrome backing plate on ebay from Easternpc- about $125

but this does open the "tuner" can of worms...which can run from about $125 ( nightrider.com Xieds/ Vieds) to over $800 (thundermax) with options inbetween.

I use the Xieds

and i do use Supertrapps on my Harleys

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-24-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The air cleaner will have no effect on the level or quality of the exhaust note. It will, however lean out the scooter considerably necessitating a tuner ( or other device ) to enrichen the AFR ( Air Fuel Ratio )
X2. If you ride it with the new AC and don't use a tuner to enrichen the AFR then you risk burning the valves.. Personally, I use the Vance and Hines Tuner. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most folks here. As a new HD owner you need to listen to different brand of pipes and see how they perform. Save your $$$ now and take your time to research (i.e. listen) to different pipes. Then, make your decision.

I do like the suggestion of putting stock mufflers back on. This will provide a few benefits: your bike will run a bit cooler and less noisy. Once you've decided on the set of pipes you want, you should also get a fuel/air mixture module as well. Then, tune your f/a mixture to the pipes you decide on.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Midlife Rider44
Started riding last year. First bike was a 94 wide glide. Loved riding and needed (ok, wanted) a touring bike. Just bought a 2011 Street Glide. Prior owner changed the stock pipes to the V & H Power Duals, but didn't do anything with the air cleaner. It's still stock.

With this setup, this bike is loud. Too loud for a touring bike in my opinion. In comparison, my wide glide has a Thunderheader, and this street glide is considerably louder. My question is this. If/When I swap out the air cleaner to get this bike more air, should I expect it to get quieter as a result? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What kind of mufflers? and did you check to see if previous owner removed the baffles?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM
wpdjoey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree no exhaust note change because of ac

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Bagger: Exhaust Question