Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dad hit a dear this morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:14 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your Dad. Like some said, I would go whatever route makes your Mom and GF most comfortable. I would NOT sell the bike(s). The incident is still fresh in all your minds, but that'll fade with a little time, and then decisions are more likely to be rational, vs. emotional. Again best wishes to you all, and especially your Dad.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

Not surprising, your dad talking about maybe getting rid of the bike. Will he still be saying that come tomorrow or next week? Maybe not (probably not in fact).

Maybe your girl friend won't ride any more. Maybe she will. Push the issue right now and she quite likely won't. My wife won't ride. So be it.

So leave the plans as they stand to take the trip next week. You may be riding solo along with the the GF in her car. Again, so be it. Maybe you'll even take a truck and trailer the bike this year. Again, so be it. Or maybe as the week progresses you'll find dad really needs some help, and you won't go at all this year. Again, so be it.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh deer, glad he's ok.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,975 Likes on 21,320 Posts

A buddy was killed back in the 80's when he hit a deer.
Ridin' at night, something else to avoid if you can.
Early morning hours are not so good either as the deer are still on the move but are starting to settle down.

I think that there should be an endless hunting season on these critters myself with no limit.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

lots of people feel like giving it up after a crash. takes time for the body and mind to heal. i'd put money on it that he will get back on the bike after awhile. takes time to get your head right again.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM
juststrokeit383
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I just need some stories how you guys ended up. Riding or not and debating if it's the life style or even just a phase.

This morning I grabbed my fob and strapped my boots on kissed her and told her I'll see her in a little bit and I loved her. Just like every morning! She then looked at me and grabbed my hand with the fob in it and said "please just drive the truck."

So I didn't feel like arguing so I did as she asked out if respect.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad your dad will recover. These stories are important reminders to all of us: "dress for the crash." I always try to ride in the hot weather with a mesh jacket with elbow and shoulder armor. Sometimes I get lazy, but that road rash can be the equivalent of a third degree burn. Btw two days ago after a 70 mile ride and about 750 feet from my driveway I realized two deer were running along side me. No issue but trouble can strike anywhere.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 AM
juststrokeit383
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjinks61
I am glad to hear your dad made it through relatively OK.

I think you might have a hard time getting your GF on the back of that bike for your trip to Sturgis this year, however that may pass after a while has gone by. It seems when something like this happens to someone close to you, people become more in touch with their own mortality.

At any rate, I wish your dad quick healing, and you and the rest of the family some peace.

By the way, I see you are in Kansas and mentioned aircraft workers filling the road early in the morning. Sounds like you live in or around my home air capital town of Wichita.
Yep we are around the wichita area. I even heard the accident report on the radio on my way to the scene.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Mister Breeze
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank goodness he's able to talk about it.....I know....been there done that...last October for me.
I had the ribs, rash, concussion and no helmet too....its a bitch when you're older....for sure.

Give him time....things may change...it did for me anyway.

Best of luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by juststrokeit383
Thanks guys I just need some stories how you guys ended up. Riding or not and debating if it's the life style or even just a phase.

This morning I grabbed my fob and strapped my boots on kissed her and told her I'll see her in a little bit and I loved her. Just like every morning! She then looked at me and grabbed my hand with the fob in it and said "please just drive the truck."

So I didn't feel like arguing so I did as she asked out if respect.
Smart move on your part. Just give them all time to heal emotionally. I agree with the previous post about caning Sturgis this year and go to Vegas with your GF instead. I had major back surgery three months ago (not bike related). For two weeks after the surgery I was seriously thinking about selling my two bikes because I was afraid if I did go down I would ruin my back or need another back surgery and I didn't want to have to go through that kind of pain again. (Post surgery pain). Anyway, it's now three months later, I feel great and I can't wait to get back on the bikes. However, my Dr has forbidden me from riding for at least another month, minimum to allow the fusion to completely heal. In the meantime my two sons are riding my bikes and it's driving me crazy. Can't wait for the Dr to give me the green light. Good speed to your Dad healing quickly. Just give everybody time and respect whatever decisions they make.

Quick Reply: My dad hit a dear this morning