Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula Plus in primany

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Nobody that I know of has done the amount of R&D that the MOCO has for their bikes. Nobody. So I see no reason to disagree with them on their lube recommendations. Is it all that critical? I don't think so. Formula + works just fine. Would just plain 30W work too? Probably. And in a pinch I would use it. Are there better products out there than what HD supplies? Maybe. Maybe not. Who is the authority that decides? I'll just stick with HD.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I found synthetic oil quieted my compensator down but caused clutch slip. I went back in with Formula+ recently. Seem to hear the compensator again now.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:28 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Been using Formula+ for almost 50k miles. I tried redline primary and it clunked harder when going into gear especially when hot that the F+ did. I was running 110 hp back then now Im at 124 and Im going to stay with the F+. I spoke to seasoned indys and they all agreed that F+ is excellent to use, so Im staying with it.
It is very important to change primary fluid often as the clutch material will degrade the oil, more so if youre a local bar hopper when all you do is stop n go riding.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

I remember when Syn3 first came out. The marketing hype was all about "Same oil in all three holes". They really wanted to boost the Syn3 sales and apparently figured we were too simple to keep track of 3 different types of lubricant.

Well, I tried it, during a service on my Heritage. Before my next service, I switched out the tranny and primary the proper fluids.

Been using Formula + in the primary and synthetic gear oil in the tranny (currently mobil 1) since I've been doing my own services for many years. No problems...

Old 07-24-2014, 12:28 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
Nobody that I know of has done the amount of R&D that the MOCO has for their bikes. Nobody. So I see no reason to disagree with them on their lube recommendations. Is it all that critical? I don't think so. Formula + works just fine. Would just plain 30W work too? Probably. And in a pinch I would use it. Are there better products out there than what HD supplies? Maybe. Maybe not. Who is the authority that decides? I'll just stick with HD.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I changed over to Shell Rotella T 15w40 many years ago from 20w50 Syn oil, Much better clutch performance and cheap.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I changed over to Shell Rotella T 15w40 many years ago from 20w50 Syn oil, Much better clutch performance and cheap.
You running that in all three holes?

Old 07-25-2014, 03:09 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the primary chaincase is concerned, Formula+ works just as good as anything else people are using, and since that's what was in there when it left the factory, I see no reason to use something different.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
I think the primary and transmission have completely different requirements. One needs lots of lube and the other has clutches to keep cool. I don't think a do it all product is the best for either. I believe F+ is a compromise for both in the name of convenience. That is why I use different lube in the two holes.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I switched to Red Line SYNTHETIC Primary Fluid...

MUCH quieter than the Formula+ that I ran for 4000 miles, shifts better...
I couldn't be happier!

That stuff ain't cheap, though...
I've purchased a case of RL motor oil plus 4 each of the Shockproof Transmission and Primary oils. I'll start using them at next (first 3000 mi) oil change. I've E-mailed Red Line for their feedback regarding 2 concerns.

1) Seals; I expect this is a non-issue with synthetics these days but since I was E-mailing anyway,,,.

2) Condensation; in my part of the world this issue is real and I understand ester based oils are prone to hydrolysis and acid formation in the presence of water. Again, as versatility is a characteristic with ester formulations I expect RL has dealt with this but I'm interested in what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Formula Plus in primany