Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula Plus in primany

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts
Default Formula Plus in primany

just wondering if people are having better results with Formula Plus in the primary. comps. lasting and running quieter?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been in all of my primaries. No issues that I'm aware of.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a very noisy primary as do a lot of the '14's. I took my Ltd. in for the recall and asked about using Formula 1 to quiet things down, said I'd have it done right there if they thought it would help. They said it's better to use Syn 3 as opposed to P1 for the synthetic value, P1 is a dino oil. FWIW, they also (after a test ride) said my primary noise was "normal" and "acceptable". I went to my Indy mechanic yesterday, asked him to test ride and he came back a minute later saying there's definitely something wrong down there. He ordered a compensator shim kit (under my extended warranty) and will be calling me when it's in. So the quest for a good dealer service dept. continues...

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 07-24-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Six7One
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why dealerships keep putting Syn3 in the primary and transmission. It calls for F+ in the manual. It probably came with it from the factory.

My local dealership keeps insisting on Syn3 being "OK" even though the manual calls for something else. They won't budge on that for the 1k service...but the dealership in Santa Fe will. AND they will let me bring my own oil for the service. So it looks like a 200 mile round trip is in order for my 1k service.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

tell me more about the compensator shim kit, never heard of it. i'm running mobil in my primary now. i might run some formula plus for awhile to see if it make any difference.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I switched to Red Line SYNTHETIC Primary Fluid...

MUCH quieter than the Formula+ that I ran for 4000 miles, shifts better...
I couldn't be happier!

That stuff ain't cheap, though...

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
tell me more about the compensator shim kit, never heard of it. i'm running mobil in my primary now. i might run some formula plus for awhile to see if it make any difference.
Not really sure what it does but I've read that the kit has solved some of the noise problems, also read that some of the compensators weren't torqued correctly and a re-torque helped...I'll update when they install it and meanwhile I'll ask my Indy (who I trust completely) about the Red Line as Safety suggested.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I run Formula plus in my primary only and have 39400 miles on my 2010 Street Glide. Stock comp. I was going to replace my stock comp some time back but heard others were having just as many issues with the Screaming Eagle upgraded comp so I figured I'd save my money and replace the comp when it needs it. Still seems fine. I run Amsoil Synthetic 20/50 in my Motor and Amsoil 75/140 in Tranny

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Only way to go. HA.. but it works fine. It's non detergent gear oil and it's what should be in there. Since there is no filter, it like transmission should be changed at regular oil changes called out for motor . Primary and transmission stay full of chips and get beat up more then motor. Oil just does not look like it's dirty like engine oil gets from stains from blowby. What you want to take care of is that big roller inner primary bearing and that big ball bearing on the clutch hub.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-24-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mwegryn
It has been in all of my primaries. No issues that I'm aware of.
Ditto!

Quick Reply: Formula Plus in primany