Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side play on shift rod lever

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
pghreed
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side play on shift rod lever

On my 2011 Street Glide, the lever attached to the shifting spline, has lots of play from side to side (not from front of bike to back). I have already replaced the bolt for the lever and used blue loc tite. Any tricks I have not seen posted on here? I do not want to take of outer and inner primary if there's a cheat/trick

Pic of the Pc. of Crap

30k miles, stock shift rod and assembly.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,916 Likes on 2,560 Posts

Baker and another company make upgraded version of this arm. Both are considered to be stronger than stock. You need to fix this issue.

On my 2005 it got loose and then stripped the shifter spline coming from the tranny. Cost lots of money to fix all of it, the shifter spline comes out through the tranny, after you remove the inner workings.

Find a good fix before it becomes a major project.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:19 AM
pghreed
Novice

Originally Posted by Architect
Baker and another company make upgraded version of this arm. Both are considered to be stronger than stock. You need to fix this issue.

On my 2005 it got loose and then stripped the shifter spline coming from the tranny. Cost lots of money to fix all of it, the shifter spline comes out through the tranny, after you remove the inner workings.

Find a good fix before it becomes a major project.
Isn't most of the cost just the labor to get the lever off? primary outer cover and inner cover... Even if the spline gets stripped, it's not that much more doing it as preventive maintenance now. No?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 AM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced mine a couple years ago with one from Drag. The new one is real steal and remains tight.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pghreed
Isn't most of the cost just the labor to get the lever off? primary outer cover and inner cover... Even if the spline gets stripped, it's not that much more doing it as preventive maintenance now. No?
Assuming it chooses to strip out as you're pulling into your garage not on a road trip (on your Touring bike) in the middle of nowhere. Many issues on a bike are not bad if they happen in the parking lot of your mechanic, they just don't tend to do that. Although I think we're saying the same thing

Last edited by kishstl; 07-24-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have noticed my shifter lever is also very sloppy on my 1991 Electra Glide. Tho after 23yrs I'm really not surprised. The shaft is noticeably worn uneven, mostly the toe shifter since that obviously gets used twice as much.

So I just ordered oem stock rebuild parts, shaft spline, both levers, bushings and what not. Total came to $145 and I will change out myself. I have already had it disassembled when I bought it and had to adjust the toe shifter height. Now I am wondering if there are actually aftermarket parts that would have prevented this from happening again. Since I just bought it I have no idea what the history of this bike has been.

Just sharing my experience thus far.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you talking about the lever in front, or the rear (from transmission)?
Are you sure the side to side play is not axial play of the rod?

If the lever is wobbling on the rod replace it . Loctite is a good idea in the spline.

I recently helped a friend repair his rear one, he went out and bought a new lever that we installed, only to find the play was coming from the rod sliding side to side. The end play on the rear rod is set by a washer used as a spacer, and a snap ring to hold it in place. We were able to find another washer .025" thicker and problem solved.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 AM
pghreed
Novice

Originally Posted by journeyman
Are you talking about the lever in front, or the rear (from transmission)?
The rear lever (vertical) connected to the back of the shift rod and mounted to the trans. shift spline. Service manual refers to it as 'shift rod lever' IIRC

Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pghreed
The rear lever (vertical) connected to the back of the shift rod and mounted to the trans. shift spline. Service manual refers to it as 'shift rod lever' IIRC
That is the one I recently repaired for a buddy. He too thought it was a bad lever. But on his, it turned out to be the rod siding in and out causing the rattle sound. A dial indicator on the end of the rod showed .030 play. After measuring the thickness of the spacer (7/16" washer), I found another one .025" thicker to solve the issue.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Quick Reply: Side play on shift rod lever