Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bars? - 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Bars? - 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic

So I am thinking of getting some new bars/apes. How high can I go and still be able to keep the existing cable set? Not against changing those tho, they are original from what I can see, and with 23yrs on them, it's probably a good idea to have them upgraded as well for peace of mind.

But the question still remains. Also what kind do I need to get? I am assuming with the fairing that a special kind is needed. This is my 1st fairing so I am a newbie to that. Thought, suggestions, and PICS please! Thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

No responses, really? So I'm looking at the PYO 10" bars. Want to keep my hands behind the fairing, and I like the way they are contoured with the fairing to keep my arms stretched out better. I went through a bunch of searches and really couldn't get an answer on whether or not i would need a new cable and hose set? Seems that the more common size of 12" bars do. So before I pull the trigger I need to know if it will work without new cables?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 AM
Pcsolutions1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From everything I've seen 10" is the biggest without replacing cables and extending wires. I was told +4 with the 12" and +6 with 14" which I just got yesterday and can't wait to install.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pcsolutions1
From everything I've seen 10" is the biggest without replacing cables and extending wires. I was told +4 with the 12" and +6 with 14" which I just got yesterday and can't wait to install.
So do you think there is a difference between the bars that are offset and angled to wrap the fairing and the standard bagger bars? See pics. They are both Paul Yaffe Originals and are 10". I am leaning towards the angles ones. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails New Bars? - 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic-classic-bagger-apes-oem.jpg   New Bars? - 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic-classic-bagger-apes.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

You'll have to use bars designed for the Batwing like in your second pic. Bagger bars won't work.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SBates08
You'll have to use bars designed for the Batwing like in your second pic. Bagger bars won't work.

That's what I needed to know. I was leaning towards those anyways. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Nother question, where is the best place or the best kind of cables to use if I need extensions?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Nother question, where is the best place or the best kind of cables to use if I need extensions?
Look at LA Choppers. You can get a complete cable kit from them. Good quality too.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:30 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Been searching everywhere and I'll be damned if my year EG isn't the hardest bike I've ever had to shop for. Can't find any kits for anything older than a 1996. Arrrggh! So I may just have to go for replacing all cables and hoses with the oem sizes and pray that they will work for the 10" bars I want to use. Thinking they should, I have read that others here have made it work but some hoses or cables are at their limit. Not sure what the deal is, i can't see there would be too many changes to cables and hoses from 1991 to 1996. When cross referencing P/N's they are different but very similar and from what i can tell the only difference is what looks to be the year coded into the P/N. Now is there a difference in lengths? can't say. i am working with a harley parts and service rep to help me out.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Been searching everywhere and I'll be damned if my year EG isn't the hardest bike I've ever had to shop for. Can't find any kits for anything older than a 1996. Arrrggh! So I may just have to go for replacing all cables and hoses with the oem sizes and pray that they will work for the 10" bars I want to use. Thinking they should, I have read that others here have made it work but some hoses or cables are at their limit. Not sure what the deal is, i can't see there would be too many changes to cables and hoses from 1991 to 1996. When cross referencing P/N's they are different but very similar and from what i can tell the only difference is what looks to be the year coded into the P/N. Now is there a difference in lengths? can't say. i am working with a harley parts and service rep to help me out.
Easy there big fella ! You'll drive yourself crazy with an older glide if you go at it thinking that the aftermarket will have "bolt on" kits.

Get a factory service manual and parts manual for your glide from the dealer, throw the bike up on your lift, remove the outer and inner fairing and put on the bars that you want on your glide.

Then determine if the factory wiring harness will reach, if it does, great, if not, you get the joy of cutting, lengthening and redoing the wires first.

Then check to see if the throttle cables, clutch cable and brake cable will work. if they do great, if not, seach J&P cycles and other online places for longer cables and replace them.

For older glides, that is just the way it is. Also - it is worth hopping down to the EVO forum on this site and searching the threads and talking to those that own and modify thier EVO's, they will help.

Quick Reply: New Bars? - 1991 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic