Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front brake pads dragging...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:48 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake pads dragging...

My front calipers are dragging!

ch-ch-ch-ch noise of the pads on the rotors.

I had installed new pads, and caliper pistons slid in nicely when I changed them.

09 ABS FLHTP

About 500 miles on the new front pads and I do abuse them, but there is noticeable wear on the inner pads already.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

How many revolutions, or free spin do you get on the front wheel with the front wheel raised off the ground?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
How many revolutions, or free spin do you get on the front wheel with the front wheel raised off the ground?
maybe a couple....had it on the stand last night...tried to listen if it was only one side, seems they both do it...took off one caliper to determine that.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 87gtNOS
maybe a couple....had it on the stand last night...tried to listen if it was only one side, seems they both do it...took off one caliper to determine that.
A couple is really, really good. I'd say as long as there's no metal on metal contact it's normal. Meaning the caliper isn't rubbing on the rotor.

Only thing is how the pads are wearing could be an issue. What kind of pads? How hot are the rotors getting after a decent ride? Also since your bike is an 09 have you ever flushed / changed the fluid?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you clean the pistons off really really good? I had the same problem when I changed mine. Skimped on the cleaning part. They *seemed* to slide in easy, but wouldn't retract fully after the brakes had been applied.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Did you clean the pistons off really really good? I had the same problem when I changed mine. Skimped on the cleaning part. They *seemed* to slide in easy, but wouldn't retract fully after the brakes had been applied.
I think I will have to give each one some special attention this weekend...

Thanks, I'll report back.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 AM
designmonkey
Stage I

i had the brake drag issue as well went through all the usual "fixes" and then decided to have the wheel bearings changes. Solved the issue completely

Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by designmonkey
i had the brake drag issue as well went through all the usual "fixes" and then decided to have the wheel bearings changes. Solved the issue completely
Bearings are basically new....but yeah, good idea.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,248 Likes on 6,008 Posts

understand that there will always be an amount of pressure from the pads "rubbing" on the rotors. Disc brakes do not have a mechanism to pull the pads away from the rotor so there is not contact. The rubber seals do allow the pads to retract enough there is not a locked or high pressure issue. You will always have brake drag. If your wheel rotates a couple times that is good. If you have brake lining on the pads and there is no metal to metal rubbing, that's good. Also remember the pad material is not that thick on bike pads, so if it looks thin, it actually may still have a lot of useful wear.
do not mistake a little noise in the brakes as a sign of urgent repair!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Since you've stated you can free spin it several revolutions and you've ridden 500 hard miles, it's probably normal.

Disc brakes are designed to lightly rest on the rotor. It is only an issue if they are resting with too much force. This would be evident by not being able to free spin the wheel a few revolutions while off the ground or by the rotors leaving blue streaks (getting too hot).

Quick Reply: front brake pads dragging...