Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear cylinder destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

wise man says, never tear down a running bike

dealer is going to fix it so its 'ok'.
Some are conservative and don't hot rod engines, some do, we pass thru once so do what you please. JMO

Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

for all the derogatory comments about the stage IV build, i think they are on the wrong track.

this dilemma was due to human error, not the amount of horsepower or how much it would stress the motor. we'll never know how long or how many problems would have occurred down the road from the build. i tend to think to think things would have gone fine, depending on how much punishment was inflicted during the OPs riding style.

FWIW personally (and i don't have any idea what a stage IV build costs ), i'd buy a new S&S 124, or the harley 120r, figuring they were built for more demanding riding. i'd like more oomph than either of my 103s deliver, but i also value dependability.

over the years, from my first harley, a 57 sportster that would blow the doors off all my friends panheads, to my 51 panhead, to 76 shovel, to 80" evo, to 88" softail, to 96" softail, to my 103 police, and now 103 streetglide, even though i've been impressed with the increase in performance, they never could break the rear tire loose at a moments notice with the twist of the throttle like i wished for. i guess we compromise.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have replaced / rebuilt / serviced several hundred carbs and or throttle bodies over the years and unless I removed the throttle plate screws myself I don't think I have ever tightened the screws in any of them. Checked that they were there maybe but don't recall checking them to see if they were tight. I call this a **** happens incident and can't say it is incompetence on the dealers part. More like a HD MOCO assembly issue. Might check the next time I do one after seeing this but most of these screws are intentionally upset (deformed) in the assembly process and I don't think they should be turned or FW after this is done.
Biggest impression here is the dealer volunteered to fix it.
Good Luck with it.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, because nobody with a stock engine ever had a failure...

Sorry about the bad luck, glad somebody is stepping up and taking responsibility.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sectime
And through out the oil system.

Any way to clean that up or repair? Would that mean a new engine?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:26 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EdandGrace
Any way to clean that up or repair? Would that mean a new engine?
It depends on what they find at teardown. I would want the oil drained while I was watching, with a fine mesh strainer to see what is in the oil.
Also have them cut open the oil filter to inspect for junk. If their engine guy is any good he would do this on his own, If they just want you to go away then it's another story. If there is a lot of metal in the oil and filter then if the dealer refuses to tear down and clean the motor I would ask for a warranty in writing.
Hopefully there isn't much in the oil and filter, and no missing pieces from cylinder damage.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:47 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by EdandGrace
Thanks. So if the piston is cracked then likely there is metal in the front cylinder as well? I assume then there would be metal in the crank case?
If the piston got merely cracked from something in the chamber, then no, things wouldn't necessarily be in the front piston. But if the piston broke into multiple pieces, or had a hole punched through it, then it's much more likely for metal to be scattered throughout the engine.

It's rare to see a piston that is merely cracked.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2-Piece
Ya, because nobody with a stock engine ever had a failure...

Sorry about the bad luck, glad somebody is stepping up and taking responsibility.
What makes you so sure nobody with a stock engine ever had a failure?

Old 07-26-2014, 02:18 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed my point. Even stock engines fail. Anything mass produced will suffer a certain percentage of failures.

Leaving you engine stock guarantees nothing.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Wow!!?? What bunch of geezer hp haters?? Motor had an assembly/part failure, dealer is standing behind it. Stuff happens and it's being handed. Good news. As stated, can't tell on repairs until torn down? If only cracked piston ya got lucky...

Quick Reply: Rear cylinder destroyed