Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot bike questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 AM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hot bike questions...

Couple questions about my bike when it gets hot from stop and go traffic. It starts to idle low and rough, and shifting becomes noisy, and not very smooth, sounds like metal to metal. Almost like I have no oil in the tranny. Is this just the nature of the beast or should I be checking something?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

What oil are you running in motor, tranny & primary?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Browning, nb
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running syn in all 3 holes and it does the same thing. I have a sgs.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM
blackflame
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Iceman24
What oil are you running in motor, tranny & primary?
Mobil 1 15/50 in engine, red line in primary redline with shook proof in tranny. All syn.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

do you have any actual knowledge to the temp of the motor or oil ? or seat of the pants estimation ?

i've pegged my oil temp gauge at 320 degrees fighting my way though downtown sturgis and it sounded like EVERYTHING was rattling and ready to blow. not good for the motor by any means. i think we'd all be better off if we could keep motor temps down.

just a matter of how far you want to go. oil coolers, fans blowing on motor, fans blowing on oil cooler, richening up the AFR..............................etc, etc

Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM
blackflame
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dodger413
do you have any actual knowledge to the temp of the motor or oil ? or seat of the pants estimation ?

i've pegged my oil temp gauge at 320 degrees fighting my way though downtown sturgis and it sounded like EVERYTHING was rattling and ready to blow. not good for the motor by any means. i think we'd all be better off if we could keep motor temps down.

just a matter of how far you want to go. oil coolers, fans blowing on motor, fans blowing on oil cooler, richening up the AFR..............................etc, etc
No just seat of the pants,, if I had the money for a fan set up I would get one. But not in the plans at the moment.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by blackflame
Couple questions about my bike when it gets hot from stop and go traffic. It starts to idle low and rough, and shifting becomes noisy, and not very smooth, sounds like metal to metal. Almost like I have no oil in the tranny. Is this just the nature of the beast or should I be checking something?
It is a bit of the nature of the beast, and it is not right...definitely need to cool it down, or pull over when it gets hot and let it cool down.

Running redline heavy duty shockproof in the trans will help a bit. Also running the HD manual recommended viscosity oil in the engine will help a bit.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Fat King
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackflame
Don't know about the metal to metal sound but, the rough idle sounds like parade mode. Mine does it when in stop and go traffic and hot out . When it goes in parade mode only one cylinder fires.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:57 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Never heard of "parade mode".

EITMS didn't come out until 2007.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat King
Don't know about the metal to metal sound but, the rough idle sounds like parade mode. Mine does it when in stop and go traffic and hot out . When it goes in parade mode only one cylinder fires.
Its an 06 bike, so unless the dealer has activated the parade mode, it's not going to do that. Back then the dealer had to activate it to work.

If the plug wires haven't been changed lately, they maybe braking down in the heat. I use 20w50 Syn3 engine, Formula 1 primary, and 75w90 gear oil in the trany. No probs and no noise.

Quick Reply: Hot bike questions...