Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 AM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone use a Tom Tom?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to pick up a Nuvi off gpscity.com. The cell phone idea isn't bad but I like the bigger screen of a gps unit. I'm really not worried about rain, i'll just put it up. I'm not really using it as something to rely on, mostly just to find nearest gas, food, roads etc. It will be in the bag if it starts to rain.

Originally Posted by RKZen
Doing a round trip NC to CA myself with a couple buddies end of summer. I use an older Garmin nuvi that has those features you need.

You can probably check out gpscity.com. GPS price is competitive and they also have mounts, as well.

Good riding on your trip.

Awesome, which part are you going to? I'm going to be leaving from Raleigh and going to Los Angeles to visit family. Taking 10 days to get out there.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Fleagt
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I upgraded my cell phone to the Galaxy 5S(waterproof) and use the downloaded app "Waze". Love it. All mounted on a Kuryakan fairing mount cell phone holder.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness03
Awesome, which part are you going to? I'm going to be leaving from Raleigh and going to Los Angeles to visit family. Taking 10 days to get out there.
My buddies are from Pinehurst and Cary, and I'm in Salisbury. We're all from the Thousand Oaks and Ventura areas, so we'll head there first and spend a few days with family. Then drive up the coast to Carmel/Moneterey, wine country, Lake Tahoe. We'll probably take I-10 and eat our way back down south. All-in-all we're taking 18 days for the trip.

You have a great trip to CA and safe rides.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM
buzdean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and there is a good garmin on the deal of the day @ amazon today for about 120bucks

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oricko
Does anyone use a Tom Tom?
I do. It's a really old TomTom One XL and I download maps from my free Tyre software. I've never covered it and it's always been faithful to me. If it dies, I'll probably pick up another used one.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by buzdean
and there is a good garmin on the deal of the day @ amazon today for about 120bucks

This one? Do you know if I can upload maps? It doesn't say.
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic: GPS & Navigation

Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
I do. It's a really old TomTom One XL and I download maps from my free Tyre software. I've never covered it and it's always been faithful to me. If it dies, I'll probably pick up another used one.
I've got 2 TomTom's...got the model One XL years ago. Replaced it with a newer model about a year ago that included life-time free maps and redlight camera alerts. The new one cost less (with the free maps) than what they want for a one time map upgrade to the earlier model...go figure !

Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a little TomTom VIA 4EN42 and attached to the bike via a holder made for an iPhone. I just took a multi-tool,, clipped of some of the bracket and the TomTom fits like a champ. When raining,,, platic sandwich bag,, works great.. and only $99 ... No problems at all!!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

You can't read the screen on most of these units when the sun is out, so I don't even bother trying to see what's going on. I just use my cell phone, google maps, and a bluetooth earpiece. Get a voice in my ear when it's time to make a turn. If I miss the turn, she'll tell me. I'll look at the route when I stop, so I have a rough idea of where I'm trying to go.

Quick Reply: Cheap GPS