Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap GPS

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by im
I use a Garmin Nuvi 2555 LMT and an inexpensive mount .
With something like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Mount-C...item2a34558b2f
The cover is not perfect but is has seen numerous bad rain storms and the worst has been some fog in the case or very slight moisture.
Please understand limitations:
A garmin car unit will NOT record routes as you enter them from HD ride planner. You MUST break the route into segments in ride planner and use about 20 "waypoints" to twist the arm of the GPS. per segment. You must ZOOM on HD ride planner before you plant a flag (waypoint) to make sure it is on the road. Nothing worse than making a turn for nothing because you planted a waypoint(flag) out in a field. Planting waypoints is done in order to prevent redirection to shortest time/distance. Again, just because you see the route in ride planner does not translate to the exact route in the GPS. You must record each segment in Ride planner with its own name. You must recheck the GPS itself (NOT THE COMPUTER) to make sure it matches because the GPS will recalculate. It does NOT just copy a created map...If you do not break the route into segments with individual names and numerous waypoints with ride planner and then important each segment the GPS will just see the START and FINISH and re-adjust everything to what ever it wants.
Folks miss this and then get pissed because the unit did not follow their scenic route.
When using the GPS i just look at the top bar that reads in large print an arrow and how many miles.
As i get closer i can hear the GPS with a fullface if volume is set at 90% and speed is under 50mph so it works well when site seeing at low speeds but i can not hear at highway speeds. No big deal since i can see how many miles to the next turn along with a name.
Make sure to have a back-up plan in case the unit separates from the bike..A string or some kind of line is a good idea. Some times you can just tape or velco the power cord to the unit and then a zip tie of the cord to the bars is good enough insurance.
I had one unit get loose one time will pumping gas when i bumped into it rather hard..Fortunately the cord and the side of my body held it from smashing to the ground...The tie wrap section of Lowes or Home depot has some peel and stick loop things that work well. http://www.lowes.com/pd_292685-1781-...=#BVRRWidgetID
Geez, that's to much work. I'll take up a collection to buy you a motorcycle GPS. lol

Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

GPS that comes on iPhone and it talks over my radio. I know some say its not reliable, but I haven't had any issues. I haven't updated my car's GPS, so it has the 2011 maps loaded into the hardrive system. Because there are alot of new roads, I use my iPhone map in my car as backup because it seems to capture the newer, quicker highways.

Having said that---no issues with my iPhone. Did a ride to Canada, my buddy mapped it out on the Garmin and I had the iPhone going on my phone just for fun. No issues

Old 07-31-2014, 02:39 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
GPS that comes on iPhone and it talks over my radio. I know some say its not reliable, but I haven't had any issues. I haven't updated my car's GPS, so it has the 2011 maps loaded into the hardrive system. Because there are alot of new roads, I use my iPhone map in my car as backup because it seems to capture the newer, quicker highways.

Having said that---no issues with my iPhone. Did a ride to Canada, my buddy mapped it out on the Garmin and I had the iPhone going on my phone just for fun. No issues
I agree with this, I've never had any issues with GPS on my Android. I use Google Maps; Viago (Garmin's GPS); Scout and CoPilot> I've been using them for years. I've never not once had a difficult time or been in a bad situation. Sure, they might not have taken me the most direct route but it's a bike, I don't mind exploring.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default GPS mount

Originally Posted by Blackness03
Thanks for the link. Have you had any problems with the gps wanting to come off the ball when you hit a bump in the road?

I don't have one just like this, but I have a chrome one that mounts on the handlebars and has a ball for the Garmin. It's never been a problem. I've never ever worried about it and I've probably run close to 100 thousand miles with one mounted like that.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

You still looking for a cheap GPS I have one out in the garage, only problem is its sitting inside the fairing of my '14 Limited...

Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
You still looking for a cheap GPS I have one out in the garage, only problem is its sitting inside the fairing of my '14 Limited...
Haha I wish I had a unit like that in my 11.

I ended up ordering the Garmin 50 and a handlebar mount with hardwiring kit.

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't want to use my phone because It's small and I don't want to be charging it all day every day for 10 days.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blackness03
Haha I wish I had a unit like that in my 11.

I ended up ordering the Garmin 50 and a handlebar mount with hardwiring kit.

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't want to use my phone because It's small and I don't want to be charging it all day every day for 10 days.
Have a great time and stay safe!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Have a great time and stay safe!

Thanks! Can't wait

Old 08-04-2014, 07:17 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My Garmin Nuvi 1450 finally started acting up this weekend after five+ years years on the bike and in my trucks. Hit see Map and no roadways appeared, only the vehicle and direction icon. Tried to input Pennsylvania and New Jersey and no match was found.

Going to replace it with a Garmin 2500 series unit for just over $100 and I should be good for another five+ years. Sandwich bag over it when it rains and I'm good to go......

Oh, if you buy a Garmin, go with a refurbished unit from an authorized Garmin retailer so you get the one year warranty. Save a bunch of money with a warranty to boot....

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 08-04-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
My Garmin Nuvi 1450 finally started acting up this weekend after five+ years years on the bike and in my trucks. Hit see Map and no roadways appeared, only the vehicle and direction icon. Tried to input Pennsylvania and New Jersey and no match was found.

Going to replace it with a Garmin 2500 series unit for just over $100 and I should be good for another five+ years. Sandwich bag over it when it rains and I'm good to go......

Oh, if you buy a Garmin, go with a refurbished unit from an authorized Garmin retailer so you get the one year warranty. Save a bunch of money with a warranty to boot....

Not sure if it will help but a few times something similar happened to me, I had to go back into the settings and re-check the show roads box (or something like that), the roads came back up. Don't know why they disappear from time to time...good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap GPS