Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Tire Pressure on 2014 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM
DaneDad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking Tire Pressure on 2014 Ultra Limited

Do you have to remove saddlebags to check rear tire pressure? What's the easiest way to check it and how often to check it? Best type of gauge to use?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought the combination psi gauge/tread depth gauge from HD. The head is 90°

I do not remove my bags to check, but I do have an Atlas 1500 lift in the garage, and I park on it. It is simple to raise the bike up, but the blackjack under it to get the rear tire off the ground and spin it.

Yes, it is a PITA... but it beats the lay on the ground, get off the ground, roll the bike, lay back on the ground, get back up and move the bike again method.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I use Garmin TPMS, check mine on the fly or at any time.
Every ride!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I put a little pink dot with a paint pen on the sidewall in line with the valve stem, easy to see that way

Old 07-27-2014, 03:22 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to check tire pressure when the bike is up on my lift. However that has been broke for the season so I have to lay on the floor and then use the new HD gauge and hose combo I just bought. I have a Pitbull lift on order but don't expect to see it for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to receive it so the wash jobs and other uses become easier once again.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just take it to the HD Stealer & have them check them for you that's the easiest way once a week is good!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

When you put the bikes on lifts to check tire pressure, where do you guys put your Starbuck's latte's? I just do it the old fashion way, saddle bag off and lay it on a blanket on the floor and move the bike.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:09 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the 90 degree combination air and tire depth gage as well.

As stated by others, it is really a pain, but not much different from front to back tire.

Then, one day I was asked to check the air on my son's 2004 Kawasaki Mean Streak. Lo and behold, they have a chrome plated 90 degree tire stem. Easiest to check and even the newer straight tire hoses at filling stations work easily.

I sure do wish that HD would add this type of stem.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, I have a Pitbull lift but I'm sure not lifting my bike to check tire pressure - you can't lift it in the parking lot of the TownePlace Suites. I don't pull the saddlebag either. I lay on the floor/ground; check the valve location, if necessary move the bike 1 direction or another to get the valve close to between a 5:00 to 7:00 position (approximately), check tire pressure with an offset, digital tire gauge (ROADGEAR brand, it must be 15 years old), adjust if necessary & check again, repeat as necessary until inflated properly & move on. Not too bad, but not a job to do wearing your off-white Dockers & light colored, John Hancock shirt. (Hey, I'm not poking fun - I work in an office with a dress code & my riding clothes don't comply!)

Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I use a 90 degree pressure gauge. I just roll the bike until the valve stem is near the bottom and lay on the floor to check it. Saddlebags do not come off.

Quick Reply: Checking Tire Pressure on 2014 Ultra Limited