Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up new Limited and rode 8 States

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Picked up new Limited and rode 8 States

I am now officially a convert from rice to HOGS. I picked up my 2012 Limited on Thursday from Dubuque Harley Davidson in Dubuque Iowa. I flew in Thursday afternoon, the sales rep Steve meant me at their little bitty airport on his day off to drive me to the dealership.

Steve showed me the bike, went over all the little stuff about the bike, then took me to Diane for the paperwork. Everything was ready for me, no waiting, signed and Steve brought the bike back with a full tank of gas and programed the radio with local country stations even. (I like country music).

It had been 9 months since I was on my last Motorcycle a 2008 Kawasaki that left me stranded on the freeway at 2:00 in the morning with a burned up over head came engine because the timing chains stretched more than the tensioners could adjust for and and engine was toast. To get it rebuilt was $3500.00 and the bike with only 54,000 miles was worth $4,000.00 if I could have found a buyer. Anyone that says the japanese bikes are the way to go needs to go look at those forums first. There are more issues and a wider variety of issues on those bikes than one could imagine, they are not built like the cars.

I rode in Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and finally home in Alabama. 2 1/2 days and 1103 miles. Longest motorcycle trip I have ever taken.

I got to ride in 50 degree weather with rain. (my rain suit had a hole in it and I had no jacket) to sunny and 105 degree weather. (I wore a long sleeve shirt and was much cooler than short sleeve in the heat)

I got to see the J&P cycles parts store, the national motorcycle museum, superman and lots of the country I never got to see before.

I was surprised at how smooth the bike ran on the freeway and back roads. It was easier to ride and maneuver than my Kawasaki Nomad I had last and that surprised me. Stops great. I had the fork deflectors mounted, the wind deflector between the forks mounted, and adjustable backrest and Zumo 660 gps at the dealership for the ride back.

The bike wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be, and I listened to the radio the whole time back even at 75-80 miles per hour I could still hear the radio. I thought from reading on here one couldn't. True it isn't be best sounding radio compared to the inside of a car or house, but dang I am out in the open and it was fine for what I expected for a motorcycle.

Buffeting with my set up and stock windshield (I am 6' and 33" inseam) was not really a problem, I felt the wind but nothinging like head buffeting to cause brain damage like I had heard here.

Good thing I didn't listen to everything people write about I would never be able to own a motorcycle.

The bike isn't perfect, but I didn't expect that either, I have never owned a perfect bike or car. I see them as something to entertain me with and use them up then go get another one. I will never have a perfect bike as I seem to wear them out too fast that I can't justify putting a bunch of money into them.

I am a happy camper and look forward to a few years of fun out of it before I go get me another one.

Attached Thumbnails Picked up new Limited and rode 8 States-0724141710a.jpg   Picked up new Limited and rode 8 States-0724141710c.jpg   Picked up new Limited and rode 8 States-0726141645.jpg  
Old 07-27-2014, 06:43 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,404 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Nice...

That's the way to buy a bike...!!

Enjoy!!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Congrats, glad it all worked out for you.
Ride safe!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy the Limited!!! It is your experience that matters, and it seems you definitely have found the enjoyment with this ride

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 PM
sharper85
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode in at that store last month. Very nice store. I broke down there a few years ago on my way back to Cali and the fixed my bike, I was a happy man. Drive safe and enjoy your new bike.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 PM
brandonwbeck
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful Bike and a great trip!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks nice! I always enjoy reading of happy Harley converters.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

It was good hearing your positive comments, glad you had a great return trip home. Your color choice was perfect!

In the pic there appears to be a silver strip on the lower fairings, is that something that you added?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Followed your story from the start. Looks like that good looking bike found a great owner.

Oh and you rode home in those red boots?...hehe.

Last edited by RKZen; 07-28-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Best of luck with the new bike. If you don't mind, can you tell me why you bought a bike 8 states away ??? Was it for the "ride" or was their price so much better to cover the airfare/ hotel/ etc. I once bought a used bike and because of the bike it was worth the trip. Today at least on the east coast every dealer is overstocked.

Great looking bike, best wishes for many safe miles ahead.

JIM

Quick Reply: Picked up new Limited and rode 8 States