Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Sirius/XM Module Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '14 Sirius/XM Module Worth It

Anyone had experience with the Sirius/XM module for the '14 touring models?

Had a friend put one on his 2011 and said it never worked real well, reception problems.

I have had Sirius in my other vehicles for years and love it.

Just wondering if its worth the $400

TIA!

Ricky

Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't think xm is worth the subscription to begin with! Quit subscribing when them and Sirius and XM merged. At around the same time there were plenty of streaming services. Tried it again recently for a free trial in a car I got and found it very repetitive

Sorry, I don't have a real answer to your question. If you have a smartphone you can just pay for the internet service and stream from your app.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Lots of info on this subject. When I was driving to the dealer to finalize my purchase, I was thinking this over, dealer had given me either a $500 gift card or the XM module installed, my choice. As I drove listening to XM in the car, constantly changing channels, listening to all the talk that seems to dominate XM these days, listening to the signal fade in and out I decided to take the gift card, I could always get the module installed later if I missed it. Eight months and 3K miles later I've not looked back, don't miss it at all and all my songs are on a flash drive when I'm in the music mood. Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman
Anyone had experience with the Sirius/XM module for the '14 touring models?

Had a friend put one on his 2011 and said it never worked real well, reception problems.

I have had Sirius in my other vehicles for years and love it.

Just wondering if its worth the $400

TIA!

Ricky
Horrible here in NEPA. Id pass. I get dropouts on a 4 lane highway with a good external antenna not the under fairing hd one. I think there needs to be a better hardware buffer if it even has one to begin with

Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Another thing you can look at is a smartphone app called Spotify. In a sense its like Pandora with stations and all but with the premium version you can also store music on your phone even albums. Slacker Radio's Premium service allows you to chache stations to your phone as well. If you happen to have Amazon Prime you can use their music service to store stuff on your phone too. Lots of alternatives!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I refuse to spend $400 to pay for radio service.

Instead I bought an iPod, loaded all my music on it, all my kids' music on it (they have good taste) and plug it in. I have 1500 +/- songs, so the repetitiveness is less than with XM.

And yes I understand XM, I've had at least one subscription for 12 years, as many as 4 at a time, but I'm still not paying $400 for a unit that should come standard.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using XM for several years, first on my Garmin 665 and now with the module installed on my 14 Limited.

I think it is worth the cost. My major rinding areas are South Texas and the Ozarks in Arkansas. Sometimes there is no telephone service or FM but there is always XM.

Occasionally, lose my signal for a few seconds on tree lined roads, same thing happened with the Garmin. My system is the stock Harley with antenna under the faring. I have been pleased with overall performance and would give it a grade of A- .

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I went w/ what Safetyman stated.

Ipod works great. Don't miss XM on the ride anymore.

I have XM in the car for the long trips in the winter or when I need to haul something.

I had XM on my 09 Ultra and it worked w/ some tweaking of the antenna position but I was thinking 5 years or so later the tech would get upgraded. It seems to be lacking for a 400 buck module.

It seems that for the MC group the technology of XM is not keeping up w/ the other available tech.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info! I don't have a problem with the subscription, just don't want something that doesn't work as it should. XM in my company car + Sirius in my truck and wife's car work great with very few dropouts.

I do a lot of driving and we do a lot of riding, it's nice to never change radio stations. With XM we only listen to a handful of stations but they suit our needs.

Already have the iPod, that's what I've been using on my UC for over 4 years.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:18 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been listening to XM for 10 years in my cars and did opt to install it in my '14 Limited. I bought the unit from Surdyke HD for $331 during a free shipping period and had it installed during the bike purchase set up, no additional charge.
I was having dropped signal issues and I relocated the antenna to the top of the inside of the inner fairing and the reception is noticeably improved. I still get a signal drop on occasion but no more than with my car.
I also have a flash drive attached to the infotainment center with 750 songs so I have more choices available.

Quick Reply: '14 Sirius/XM Module Worth It