Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash with fatality this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 AM
Trial dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this won't be a popular sentiment but ... while there are plenty of drivers that should in fact be locked up, sometimes accidents are just that, accidents. There is a reason that on most MC forums there are frequent comments about being seen, doing things to be more visible to cars etc. One reason, of course is that we are in fact more vulnerable on bikes. Another reason, though, is that for various reason having to do with expectations based on what drivers are used to seeing many drivers are looking for cars and trucks, not motorcycles, and as crazy as it sounds they in fact do not perceive them appropriately (different than not seeing them). So while the driver that the OP references may in fact be reckless and deserve more than she is getting, she may in fact have not seen or perceived the rider because she, like all of us, is human. It is, of course, much worse for the rider and his family but accidents like this can have a life changing effect on the drivers involved as well, whether or not it is a car on car, car on truck, single car, motorcycle involved etc. The answer isn't always to charge someone criminally which should require mens rea.
In any case, sad for the rider and his family and to the OP, I agree certainly sobering to see these things in person.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 AM
jlj6t
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks.

Cagers don't look for obstructions/impediments to their travel. They are conditioned to look for other cars. The "absence" of those other cars is interpreted as an all clear.

Keep your heads on a swivel. They are all actively trying to kill us.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree in part with trial dog, but, those that get behind the wheel of a 3,000lb + vehicle have a lawful responsability to safely operate that vehicle. If I were handling a gun and it accidently went off killing someone what would the charge be? In my eyes there need to be stiffer penalties and also it be more difficult to get a drivers license.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trial dog
I know this won't be a popular sentiment but ... while there are plenty of drivers that should in fact be locked up, sometimes accidents are just that, accidents.
I respectfully disagree. Unlawfully driving into the path of another is not an accident; because someone died, it is no less than negligent homicide. Stated differently, there are no motor vehicle accidents; there is inattention or carelessness. No excuses.

If all drivers feared a long time in jail and financial ruin for doing stupid **** that kills, they might finally stop doing supid **** that kills.

Last edited by jefla; 07-29-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM
jeffdag
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am deeply saddened when I read about motorcycle accidents. As a rider, I am constantly on the lookout for motorcycles when I am in a cage. With that said, during my commute, there are always one or two riders that just pop up into view, or are splitting lanes on the wrong side. I am surprised to see them. It's scary and I am looking for the riders.

Prayers to the motorcyclist and family.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

I agree, there are a few out there that drive like they want to die and give us a bad rap, but still, if the penalties were stiffer, the accidents would be fewer.
I think there should be a devise in all vehicles that does not allow the use of any cell phone while the vehicle is moving.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

So sad to hear this kind of stuff. I must add from my 40 plus years of driving both professionally and on two wheels, one thing that has stood out in my mind and amazes me beyond belief is people will turn into a path of an oncoming vehicle, doesnt matter what is coming. To prove my point more times than not next time a car pulls in front of you from a side street or wherever, look behind you and there will be no one behind you. As someone just stated humans cant perceive depth or judge speed.
What I do is besides looking at an impending hazard from a car is look at the position of the vehicles front wheels and look at the drivers face either thru the windows or in one of their mirrors. Unless the car is totally out of control the driver is looking in a direction where they want to go. Its my rule of thumb and quite possibly in this posted case it wasnt possible. I am soory for our fellow rider and his family. Ride safe all!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Spider0408
Banned
Received 252 Likes on 131 Posts

What does all this have to do with touring models?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb35
If I were handling a gun and it accidently went off killing someone what would the charge be? In my eyes there need to be stiffer penalties and also it be more difficult to get a drivers license.
Guns don't go off accidentally. Every unintentional discharge is negligent. If you keep your finger off of the trigger until you intend to shoot, the gun will never just go off

Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by christophgage
Guns don't go off accidentally. Every unintentional discharge is negligent. If you keep your finger off of the trigger until you intend to shoot, the gun will never just go off
The same goes with killing someone with a car.......

Quick Reply: Crash with fatality this weekend