Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash with fatality this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Crash with fatality this weekend

I came a long a few minutes after the crash, I was on my way to Washington & Lee University in Lexington to join the protest of the removal of the regimental Confederate battle flags from Robert E Lee's tomb.

It was a horrible crash scene as we slowly rode by

The driver of a motorcycle is dead after crashing into a Honda Civic in Nelson County over the weekend.
Saturday morning, State Police say 66-year-old Peggy Arnold was turning from Route 29 Northbound onto Route 56, when she turned into the path of the motorcycle.
Forty-seven-year-old Michael Murphy of Annapolis, Maryland, couldn't stop in time, and slammed into the vehicle.
Murphy died at the scene.
Arnold is charged with reckless driving.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

That sucks. Thats a wide open intersection, no reason for her to cut in front of him. Everyday is gift...

Last edited by jammerx; 07-28-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Statistically the major cause of most MC crashes is the left turn in front of an oncoming bike. Very sad though

Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lock her up. Until they start sending these left-turning motorists to jail for not yielding to traffic, this will continue to happen.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Just don't get it at all.

I was in my car and making a left hand turn and an approaching HD (road king) was coming up on the intersection.

I just cant justify not seeing this MC w/ 3 lights on it...no way to miss it.

I just don't get it.

One of the other posters here a few months ago on a earlier thread was saying (he was an eye doc) that some people are unable to tell depth and think that the approaching object is farther away than they actually are...or its may be cell phone, texters and/or impatient losers.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
...or its may be cell phone, texters and/or impatient losers.
And there's my first pick. Most people are so much in a hurry to go nowhere quickly that they make left-hand turns half asleep, then swear they never saw the oncoming vehicle. And I'm sure they really didn't, since they drive so much with the phone to their ear, eyes off the road to text, and their head up their butt.

I'm not going to quote the specifics here (Sonoma County, CA) from a weekend accident, but essentially the same thing: vehicle made a left-hand turn in front of a motorcycle and the motorcyclist died before getting air-lifted to the second hospital. I feel that there should be a higher vehicle code & criminal penalty when any vehicle makes a left-hand turn in front of a motorcycle and it causes an accident since the motorcyclist is completely defenseless, having no seatbelt, air bags or any other safety equipment available to help prevent death.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 07-28-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Oly1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had one in Knoxville also

Apparently the driver made a u turn in front of the Harley on Chapman hiway. Motorcyle driver died his passenger was hospitalized. Rider was only 23.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:42 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
And there's my first pick. Most people are so much in a hurry to go nowhere quickly that they make left-hand turns half asleep, then swear they never saw the oncoming vehicle. And I'm sure they really didn't, since they drive so much with the phone to their ear, eyes off the road to text, and their head up their butt.

I'm not going to quote the specifics here (Sonoma County, CA) from a weekend accident, but essentially the same thing: vehicle made a left-hand turn in front of a motorcycle and the motorcyclist died before getting air-lifted to the second hospital. I feel that there should be a higher vehicle code & criminal penalty when any vehicle makes a left-hand turn in front of a motorcycle and it causes an accident since the motorcyclist is completely defenseless, having no seatbelt, air bags or any other safety equipment available to help prevent death.
Sadly it will be a ticket and a slap on the hand. If the bureaucrats are serious about accidents and driving they would have all ready done something about it. There are people that do far worse incidents in a cage on purpose and get a reprimand and a fine. It's sad really. There are so many people that drive around with no insurance, or a drivers license no wonder all these things happen.
You see the bad driving , the inattentive driving. The drivers that are on your *** expecting you to run the yellow light. Then mad at you when you don't. And that's just in little ol Idaho never mind a huge city, must be way, way worse.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 PM
frozensoul
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so sad, so uncalled for. makes feel ill. prayers to his family

Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It was bad, she evidently pulled right out in front of him, strange thing was they were both from Maryland, I am guessing maybe she was lost and trying to turn around, it is a divided highway there with 2 lanes on each side. They say the bike was a 2009 FLHT, I could not tell it was so smashed up, all I could see were the hard black bags so I knew it was a bagger. It was on my mind all day, seeing a body covered in the road, I stopped just up the road at a gas station, got something to drink and gather my thoughts. I just want to know why she was not charged with invoulantry manslaughter, I mean just a reckless driving ticket? We read about things like this all the time, but to actually see the aftermath first hand.........

Quick Reply: Crash with fatality this weekend