Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil from Inner Primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaking oil from Inner Primary

I noticed some oil on my garage floor today after a ride it seems like I have a oil leak coming from my inner primary by the Crankshaft gasket. I thinking of doing this job myself but have never taken a primary apart...Is this a easy job or should I let the dealer handle it and if I do how many hours labor will the dealer charge any advise would be helpful Thanks Joe

Old 07-28-2014, 08:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

first find the source of the seep- spray the suspect area with drugstore foot powder ( 99¢ store), the powder will wash away at the source

oil from anywhere will make it's way to the lowest point of the bike...the primary case when on the stand.

if you are sure this is an easy job- but you would be stoopid to do this without the manual.

the clutchhub nut is left hand thread on many models, don't use air impact tools on this or the comp sprocket nut

mike

Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wondering where your leak is...

seeing as how none of the bikes you have listed under your post has a 'crank shaft gasket'. They all have o-rings. The primary cover has a gasket. Maybe if you posted a pic of the engine where you believe the leak to be, would be a big help.

As far as taking the primary apart, that isn't too difficult. Although, I would suggest you purchase a service manual to help you through it. Even if you decide to let a shop do the work, it will teach you more than you ever thought you wanted to know about your bike.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

More than likely it is the seal on the mainshaft into the inner primary housing. Could be the starter jackshaft seal, or, the transmission mainshaft seal. I run gear oil in my trans so I know by smell if I have a trans leak. I currently have a inner primary mainshaft seal leak. Basic mechanical skills, a service manual and the ability to follow it and some special tools and the job is not too hard.

Neil
RDMC

Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master

I took a closer look at the engine and primary its clean and dry except in the one spot I'm pretty sure now its coming from around the wires that come out of the primary which seems to be a common problem ( I did a search) and the proper repair is to change the stator and grommet which seems like a big job I do have a manual but not sure if its enough to get me through this job...

Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07JakeelwoodHD
I took a closer look at the engine and primary its clean and dry except in the one spot I'm pretty sure now its coming from around the wires that come out of the primary which seems to be a common problem ( I did a search) and the proper repair is to change the stator and grommet which seems like a big job I do have a manual but not sure if its enough to get me through this job...
Yep! Had the dealer do mine last fall to the tune of 800.00 big ones.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

stator wires...some use silicone to seal

a syringe can be used to get the sealant inside the joint ( large bore needle- such as used for woodworking- injecting glue)

just live with it until you have a problem which requires pulling the primary- you can reseal the stator plug at that time

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-29-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master

Ok so the leak is definitely coming from the grommet around the stator wires. I decide I'm going to replace the stator and grommet. I have watched some videos and read through the manual ...I spoke to my dealer and they told me they would do the job for 500.00 and replace all the seals and gaskets in and around the primary. What do you think. I'm figuring parts alone have to be close to 300.00 Joe

Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
More than likely it is the seal on the mainshaft into the inner primary housing. Could be the starter jackshaft seal, or, the transmission mainshaft seal. I run gear oil in my trans so I know by smell if I have a trans leak. I currently have a inner primary mainshaft seal leak. Basic mechanical skills, a service manual and the ability to follow it and some special tools and the job is not too hard.

Neil
RDMC
Usually the tranny mainshaft bearing starts to go causing a leak at the mainshaft.

Rarely is this actually the primary. Had this on two different bikes and it was the same thing on both.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same issue... cleaned up the area where the stator wires come out, used high temp silicone to seal it back up, been going on a year now and no leaks... to me it didn't make sense to spend $450 or so to have dealer take care of it, when stator is still good.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil from Inner Primary