Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilson Leather MC luggage $100 review...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Wilson Leather MC luggage $100 review...

The wife and I are planning a camping trip in the next few weeks and needed some luggage. I looked at used tour packs $500, used HD bags $100-$200 and new Tbags, new HD and a lot of brands. The size I wanted was not cheap and I wanted something water proof/resistant.

I found this set at Wilson Leather outlets for $100 after a coupon so I took a chance. Its made a very thick PVC material lined with felt. Claims to be waterproof but it came with a rain cover also. I have my reservations about the seams being water tight but its well built It has four compartments and they are removable. I may spray it with my tent silicone to just in case. The side pouches zipper off and the top luggage can be unclipped and removed. Each part can also be attached to the bike individually based on the needs for that trip or you can use them all at once. The tops have the edge that fold over and snap shut so it should keep most of the water out. The side pouches have extra flaps that fold over before the main flap to keep water out also.

All together there is a ton of room and more than enough for our camping trip. For $100 I will get a year or two out of them for sure. It has very sturdy velcro straps for the sissy bar, another tie down that goes vertically over the pad and then two more buckles that you can strap to the bike or rack also. It will not come off unless I do.

We are taking our trip in the middle of August and I can give an additional review at that time. I know you get what you pay for and I paid for this and I have minimal expectations, hold my stuff and not fall off.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

Looks good for a hundred bux

Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
NVERL8
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was given a Wilson's leather motorcycle jacket and have been really impressed with the quality. Hopefully you luck out.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
The wife and I are planning a camping trip in the next few weeks and needed some luggage. I looked at used tour packs $500, used HD bags $100-$200 and new Tbags, new HD and a lot of brands. The size I wanted was not cheap and I wanted something water proof/resistant.

I found this set at Wilson Leather outlets for $100 after a coupon so I took a chance. Its made a very thick PVC material lined with felt. Claims to be waterproof but it came with a rain cover also. I have my reservations about the seams being water tight but its well built It has four compartments and they are removable. I may spray it with my tent silicone to just in case. The side pouches zipper off and the top luggage can be unclipped and removed. Each part can also be attached to the bike individually based on the needs for that trip or you can use them all at once. The tops have the edge that fold over and snap shut so it should keep most of the water out. The side pouches have extra flaps that fold over before the main flap to keep water out also.

All together there is a ton of room and more than enough for our camping trip. For $100 I will get a year or two out of them for sure. It has very sturdy velcro straps for the sissy bar, another tie down that goes vertically over the pad and then two more buckles that you can strap to the bike or rack also. It will not come off unless I do.

We are taking our trip in the middle of August and I can give an additional review at that time. I know you get what you pay for and I paid for this and I have minimal expectations, hold my stuff and not fall off.

How can you go wrong? Looks good...and **** drys after it gets wet!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one similar to yours, if not the same. Looks real familiar but I don't remember what brand. Watch out for the chrome dots, they rust after 1 season, saw 2-3 rain rides.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Funny comment about the rust on the buttons. I actually hit the buckles and chrome bits with some wax to protect them.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I think a good coat of camp dry, or similar on the seams is a good idea, can't hurt.

How rigid is the bottom?

I might suggest a piece of wood under the bag on top of the rack, to prevent sag.

Even the best bags sag, I've always made a piece, put rubber on the rack to prevent rubbing, and painted the wood black, but I'm handy that way...

If you look at the back of the OL's Deluxe, you can see the board. I had it fastened on, because she usually had a roll bag on there, we were parked up for the night on a trip in this first pic... If you look in the second and third, you can see the edge.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior

Saafetyman,

The bottom is pretty solid and I have the King wide luggage rack and its only a few inches per side over so it should be good.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$100 is not bad if it lasts two seasons. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from Wilson Leather.

A friend bought a jacket from them for $225. Two months later it was marked down to $125. One month after that I saw the exact same jacket at the flea market (minus the Wilson Leather tag) for $95. I don't think they are very good in the customer service dept either. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 AM
Frankie G
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't speak to the quality of the Wilson jackets these days but I did buy one back in the early 90's. Best motorcycle jacket I've ever owned. Thousands of miles and all kinds of weather and that jacket was awesome!! Couldn't stand up to a house fire though. Anyways, the packs look fine and if you want the buttons to last then clean 'em up and paint them with clear finger nail polish.

Quick Reply: Wilson Leather MC luggage $100 review...