Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to darken my seat color.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
WaucondaRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You better check what material the side panels are before you try anything. If they are vinyl like most of the Corbin seats, it won't take the dye or polish like the leather does and then you will have a two-tone seat. Which might not be too bad either though!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Put mink oil on it.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

If u try to darken it, do a small part of the underside first. That way you can see if the vinyl will take the dye and what the color looks like. Hey, if u try it and it sux, you can always have it recovered!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The mink oil is the way to go. But it will not do anything for the sides. My gunfighter is only leather on the seating surface Mink oil if you ever oiled a ball glove you will know what to expect. GL

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies gents. I heard mink oil will also not fully absorb and end up leaving the seat oily. There's a couple of local horse and feed type stores around that sell saddles. Maybe I should check with them? I don't know for sure if the sides are vinyl or leather so I might have to find that out first if possible.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WaucondaRider
You better check what material the side panels are before you try anything. If they are vinyl like most of the Corbin seats, it won't take the dye or polish like the leather does and then you will have a two-tone seat. Which might not be too bad either though!
Was getting ready to say the same thing. The sitting sections of the seat are leather but the panels in between are vinyl and won't absorb the leather dye and you will end up with a two tone seat.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by WaucondaRider
True ..

Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

It is very difficult to apply a rub on polish and get leather to darken evenly. If the side panels are vinyl, then any color will sit on the surface and not penetrate as it will on leather. It takes a lot of effort and care to darken leather using pastes or oils. It usually takes 4 or 5 coats to get it dark enough that the blotches start to disappear.

My advice:
1. Learn to love the color, it will darken naturally with just general applications of leather care products.
2. Talk to Corbin. If they tell you how to do it, do it that way.
3. If you do it yourself, you probably will not like the result
4. Get it recovered, which is what you will end up doing if you try and darken/change it yourself.

This is why black is so popular, it is the same, if it darkens it looks the same, if the dye is uneven it still looks the same.

Brown leathers look good, but only when they are matched and new. They age poorly (color matched wise) There are thousands of shades of brown and any two panels, unless from the same animal will dye differently unless vat dyed. Leather takes brown dyes unevenly, so expect streaks, spots, and places that just seem resistant to color change.

I have attempted this in the past and while I got it to barely satisfactory, next time I will get it recovered and end up saving myself time and money and have a better looking and lasting product.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I polished boots and shoes for many years. Changed colors for folks many times. Leather and vinyl are 2 different materials They will react differently no mater what. Leather seats in the most part has a coating, called sheen. It will allow chemicals to penetrate as where vinyl will do it less.
In other words you may end up with a 2 tone color.
If mink oil is staying oily you applied too much. Use small doses at a time and allow it it sink in. I use a liquid mink oil for saddles. The paste is a pain to get to soak up good. It will through time though. It takes heat. Like sunshine.
Personally I would not do anything, it will darken through time anyway.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I think the color looks good as well. If you want to darken it I would use a leather dye. Tandy has some gel type that goes on pretty easy.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...ye.aspx?pg=all

Quick Reply: I want to darken my seat color.