Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half helmet with pull down sunshield

Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Funny this topic has popped up just after I bought a new Scorpion EXO 110 this past Monday.
I took a 500+ mile ride on Tuesday and I was happy with the helmet but I still prefer to wear either sun or clear glasses for added protection for my eyes.

FWIW, I haven't had time to see if it is compatible with my Second Face-on mask that I recently purchased, but I'm hoping that if nothing else I can leave the helmet shield up and also wear the mask.
I would make a great combo and I wouldn't have to take two helmets on long road trips.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM
AZRider62
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bell Pit Boss.

I like the looks, comfort and the quality build. Comes with a removable neck curtain which will be nice in the winter.

I removed the adjustable hard hat style tightener in the back. I thought it looked kind of funny hanging out back there so tried riding without it and didn't lose much grip at all.

The flip down visor fits over my large frame prescription sunglasses. Only minimal distortion.

I read some reviews AFTER I bought it that it is a fairly hot helmet compared to other halfs. I can vouch for it being too hot for me to wear in this Phoenix heat and so it has been gathering dust lately.

EDIT: Replaced with Akoury AK-88.

Last edited by AZRider62; 08-12-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm happy with this one, the tinted shield and venting works well.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...et-with-shield

Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM
wpdjoey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the pit boss as well love the adjustable fit and have both a clear and tinted visor

Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Been waiting for a thread on these, I am currently using Outlaw super light but still had DOT approval when bought then recalled. I use a short snap on visor/shield that pivots up on the visor head and seems to be fine for now but am still considering the drop visor helmets.

Seen quite a few guys with full face that had the flip up full front, most of the time are flipped up for cooling so don't see the point of them. Had the old 3/4 Bells for years, don't think I'll go back to them with a XXL melon.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a couple of he Harley Davidson versions that work well--made by HJC (when marketed by HJC, the IS-2). Found them in the clearance rack for $50.

The HD branded ones come with a medium tint, you can get a darker tinted shield from HJC (even for the HD, fits the same).

They work well.

I've probably done about 2/3rds of my riding with one. If you do get one, here's a hint for you: Put about a 3/4" strip of electrical tape along the bottom edge of the visor. Early morning/late afternoon when the sun is in your eyes, just pull the visor down one click & it acts as a sun visor. There's still enough visor left so that when pulled all the way down it doesn't block seeing your gauges.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

X10 for the Bell Pit Boss

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
X10 for the Bell Pit Boss
another happy Pit Boss owner and user here. I wear glasses and the shield is no issue. I replaced the tint shield with a clear with the intent if using it for rain and night bug protection. I have actually used it very little though. I also removed the wheel adjuster. While I loved it my fat neck was annoyed by the constant contact. With it off a couple months now I don't even miss it. And I now have the big side benefit that it fits in the RK hard bags with no problem. Helmet is a well made quality piece and is very comfortable and a perfect fit for my head shape. I feel fortunate it fits so well.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the HJC one and I used it on my trip to TN last week and loved it. My Scala fits great on it and under the inside padding it has recessions for the speakers. The shield was great for rain and it even pulls down over my giant prescription safety glasses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Half helmet with pull down sunshield