Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cost on new bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:06 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
.....I know for a fact many businesses have a 30% markup, especially in consumer consumables, beer, pop, snacks, bread, meat....'
Dupe.....

Last edited by Nickatnyt; 09-17-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

.....I know for a fact many businesses have a 30% markup, especially in consumer consumables, beer, pop, snacks, bread, meat....'
30% markup is minimum in my business, but I'm dealing with $30 items not $25000 ones. Generally the higher priced the item the lower the markup percentage would be, but I know that Harley is pushing the boundary so we shall see how that works in the next year or so after the Rushmore newness has worn off.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
30% markup is minimum in my business, but I'm dealing with $30 items not $25000 ones. Generally the higher priced the item the lower the markup percentage would be, but I know that Harley is pushing the boundary so we shall see how that works in the next year or so after the Rushmore newness has worn off.
I don't disagree.

But Harley isn't marking them up 30% either. 5k at 28... 17.8%

Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
I have not a clue what the dealer cost is now but back in the '70's when I was going to the "Dealer Meetings".... The dealer mark-up was quote " the highest in the industry". That was H-D's mantra. I know all want to know, but if my memory serves me correct it was 23%. Don't bet the farm but my memory says this is correct.
I'm betting you're pretty much on the money. The website shows about a 20% profit off of MSRP, which is reasonable in that type of business. Doesn't mean you have to pay it though. It is a "Suggested" Retail Price. Plus, I'm betting the dealer gets some kind of holdback (3%? that's based on the retail price), like car dealers do. The smart dealers make even more of a return on used bikes. And the dealers who sell more used bikes are in a better position to deal on a new bike.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:22 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

I really don't think that is out of line.

Don't like it?
Open your own dealership and sell at whatever you like...

I know for a fact many businesses have a 30% markup, especially in consumer consumables, beer, pop, snacks, bread, meat....

Not criticizing... just sayin'
Im with ya on this. Lotta overhead. People who think thats a huge mark up have no clue what it takes to run a business. The owner of the company/dealership is suppose to make money and not give stuff away for nothing. Kinda like moaning about your boss not paying you enough money. go work some place else. Freedom.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

I still dont see how it helps knowing their cost. What do you expect "oh, you know the cost? Well, thats different! I'll sell it for $2K less than the price I just quoted you!".?

I doubt it.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

HD Dealers have a lot more overhead than a lot of other manufacturers. My local is a small volume, private owned dealership - not one of the mega superstores we see so much of today. Anyway, I walk in on a slow day, and there are 4 salesmen, 1 sales mgr, 2 to 3 motor clothes girls, 3 parts guys, service mgr, 5 technicians, gopher, etc. He also owns a Honda/CanAm dealership and when I visit there, there is a guy who is doing sales, parts, accessories, and 3 technicians and one of them is also service manager.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

I have no problem with the dealership making a big profit and earning a comfortable living.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

The sad thing is the service dept. probably makes a bigger profit annually.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 AM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

The markup goes 2 ways. The dealer can say no, I'll wait for the guy to come in and pay full sticker. The customer can say no, and move on to a dealer that will deal a bit.

It's just like buying cars, do your homework and try get the best deal you can, or at least a deal you can live with. I have no problem with them making some money either. But, they aren't going to bend me over a barrel either.

Quick Reply: Dealer cost on new bikes ?