Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cost on new bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,240 Likes on 8,378 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
"Powersports", then "Browse by Manufacturer".

Here you go:

http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ug/powersports
Thanks!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:50 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshot12
The markup goes 2 ways. The dealer can say no, I'll wait for the guy to come in and pay full sticker. The customer can say no, and move on to a dealer that will deal a bit.

It's just like buying cars, do your homework and try get the best deal you can, or at least a deal you can live with. I have no problem with them making some money either. But, they aren't going to bend me over a barrel either.
Bingo. Knowing that the mark up is a good tool, but not all dealers have the same overhead or sales. When I purchased my new bike, my local dealer does not and would not negotiate, but another dealer 30 miles away who serves a more rural area was happy to make a deal saving me several thousand and offering a healthy discount on new parts.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:41 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Makes you want to go right out and get bent over doesn't it?? Those numbers alone irritate the hell out of me. However, I just bought a new Chevy truck about a month ago and now they are offering $15k off of MSRP depending on model. Talk about getting bent over. I didn't pay near sticker for my truck but I sure as hell didn't get $15k off either. Thanks GM, next time lube me first.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Berardi3
Wow is this for real ? If so we have some ammo for negotiating a good deal.
Good luck with that. It doesn't matter if you do know their cost. Do you really think they will give you a better price just because you know their cost? No. They will just wait for the next guy to walk through the door and pay what they want. The only time you are going to get a substantial discount is on a slow moving model or one that's been on their books for a while.

I don't know this for fact but I suspect the dealerships get pressure from the MoCo to sell everything at close to MSRP. This keeps prices and values pretty stable from state to state. You can find this practice with other products.

Last edited by Mr HOG; 09-17-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 PM
a21m
Tourer

I would never begrudge a business a fair profit. Businesses are not charity organizations and I understand that. I do however believe they do not need to make all there profit in one sale, especially to me. I can use this info to give a starting point and try to lower the sale price. I always feel that I have accomplished a savings if I can get "something" off the sale price of an item.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts
Default dealer markup

Dealer makes $$ off of new bike sale invoice is Not what dealer pays its about three percent less than invoice. Called a holdback. This is used by dealer to pay floorplan cost of holding inventory if financed by the mothership

Dealer makes $$ on used bike by offering trade in value then selling at retail after reconditioning

Dealer makes $$ in finance office on interest rate. Typically 1 to 2% that gets kicked back by finance co

More money made on ext warrenty and wheel tire plans

More money made on extended service plan due to low miles ridden

Dealer makes $$ in motorclothes
Mark up is approx 50%

Dealer makes $$ at parts counter mark up is approx 40%

Dealer makes $$ in service due to high labor rate per hour vs rate paid to help. 20 to 25%

Dealers make $$ on oil, filters, etc
Again 20 to 25%

Dealer makes least amount of $ on tires. Never been able to tie this % down as it moves with price of oil due to limited shelf life of tires

My limited knowledge on dealer pricing.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The prices are set as all prices are in an economy such as ours. Supply vs Demand. The cost of an item has zero to do with the price. Very basic economics and a hard fact. The dealer couldn't care less if you know his markup. All he cares about is how many people he has coming in the door ready to buy. If his experience tells him that you've offered as much as he thinks he can get, he'll take your offer. If he thinks another guy will walk in later and give him some more money, he'll hold out for more money.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM
ElGigante
Tourer

if you think that is bad learn the markup on jewelry/diamonds. your wife/girlfriend/mistress will never get another gift again

Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

The markup the Honda's and Indians are quite a bit less than Harley..

Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 PM
drdrew229
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This info is amazing!

Quick Reply: Dealer cost on new bikes ?