Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger question: Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Kevinch, does she use the floorboard? My lady also suffers from the same malady, and the hot humid summers in Mn make her miserable. But she has no problem mounting the Ultra with normal riding gear.
She's 5'6, about 160 lbs, btw.
Yes, she uses the passenger floorboard on the left side by placing her left foot on it. I couldn't really see what she did from there, but whatever it was it wasn't working. She's about 5'4" tall & might be about the same weight..but even if I knew exactly..I'd beg ignorance!

Tried on the right side too...no go...

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM
harleydodge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FLHTC- Before me, from the left while on the factory sidestand.
I'll "steady" by holding the left grip, but it's more to make her more comfortable than to really stabilize the Bike.
Getting her to go in the first place is far more difficult.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I straddle my Ultra, standing up fully, then my wife steps on a floorboard (either one), and swings a leg aboard. She's about 5'2", and the passenger floorboards are in the uppermost position.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 PM
swervin irv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Book-it
I get on, get it off kick stand she grabs my arm stands on the foot board then goes up and puts the other leg over to the foot board then sits down.
reverse coming off.
works for us.
We do the same as Book-it........................

Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wife has knee issues, both been replaced and creates a lot of issues for her and can no longer easily get on and off the ultra. I have the bike on the kickstand, engine off and in 1st gear, she sits on the seat and slides to the passenger, I grab her right leg and help her get her foot across the tank, then I get on from the right side, stand up the bike and then we move out. Just the opposite when we stop. We have no desire to stop riding. Soon we will stop riding the ultra and switch to a trike. Jim

Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

You get on first, Tell your wife to put her left foot on the left footboard then standing straight up on the footboard, step thru with her right leg (thru the gap between you and the backrest) as she steps thru she turns to face forward. once her leg is thru, simply sit down.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I appreciate all the input so far - it seems as though most passengers, but not all, mount up after the rider is on the bike.

It doesn't really bother me one way or the other, except as mentioned when I have to first move the bike out of a parking space before she gets on. Then I have to mount, move, dismount, she mounts, then I mount - that can be a little bit of a hassle.
You get on first, Tell your wife to put her left foot on the left footboard then standing straight up on the footboard, step thru with her right leg (thru the gap between you and the backrest) as she steps thru she turns to face forward. once her leg is thru, simply sit down.
Weavr99FLHT, maybe we'll have to practice this in the garage. As I was trying to hold the bike up while she struggled to get on, I didn't really turn my head around to watch - I would have been afraid of losing my balance.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the center stand will b your best option here

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinch
I would have to get on the bike, move it, get off the bike, let her get on, then remount.

Anyone else here have a passenger that mounts up the same way - is that normal or common?
I'll answer before I read any other comments because this will be interesting. So many will quote the "Harley Rule".......however, there is no rule. My wife is 4'11" and when she mounts, she nearly tears my head, neck, and shoulders off. She has issues just standing up and throwing her leg over a sissy bar...or my razor pak because she's so short. She puts alot of stress on me when mounting and I struggle to keep the bike steady and I just can't get her to support her own weight as she steps up.

Therefore, I stand near the bars, hand on the left grip to keep things steady, she mounts first by stepping on near side peg, stands up....right leg steps directly "over" the passenger seat and down. She places her left hand on the left grip to support her a little bit as she is doing this. Then I mount. To dismount, I get off the bike just like I'm riding solo. I stand near the bar, hand on it to keep things steady, she throws her right leg over to the left side and literally "slides" down to the ground.

For some reason, this forum mentions the rule of passenger mounting last and dismounting first. But out here in the real world....I've seen so many different techniques to mounting that works. Also---I'm not really holding the bike steady with hands on the bar---the bike barely moves as she gets on and off. I just stand there to make her feel better. My daughter is 5'8"....this girl walks up and just steps directly over and sits down...then I mount. We just prefer it this way. If the person holding the bike up isn't comfortable, then alter the mounting sequence.

Last edited by sfcmo357; 07-31-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT

This is really the only thing that works on a bike with a bike with a tour pack and antennas.

Quick Reply: Passenger question: Ultra Classic