Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new bar install thread!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Smash
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another new bar install thread!

I know...there's a ton of threads on this subject. I searched and read as much as I could...till my eyes bled!

I just ordered a set of 16" BR's Custom Cycles Sweeping Beaters. They're 1.5" diameter, 16' of rise, and around 7" of pullback. Oh...and 34" wide. Going on a '13 Street Glide. Powder coating them black satin to match my Denim Black paint.

What kind of problems am I going to run into putting these on?

Is is absolutely necessary to order the special tool to remove my ignition switch? If so...where can I get it?

I have (probably) more tools than the average guy. Plenty of sockets and wrenches, Torx bits, split ring pliers with large and small inserts, etc etc. Also have a service manual. Anything else in particular I need?

Any tips tricks and shortcuts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks....SMASH

Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You've already covered my recommendation of strong inside snap-ring pliers for the clutch cable and a service manual. You can either plan on changing tranny oil at the same time you remove the cable, or tilt the bike, drain what leaks into a clean pan and reuse it again. A little extra oil on hand may help. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished install!!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM
GNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignition switch tool from Mark Parnes. Got from this site so I'll share it with you. Around $25.00, Good Luck with your project.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is is absolutely necessary to order the special tool to remove my ignition switch? If so...where can I get it?

is this something for newer bikes? I had mine apart without a special tool to install my painted fairing and its not hard to do without this tool you speak of.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 AM
Smash
Tourer

Ignition switch tool from Mark Parnes. Got from this site so I'll share it with you. Around $25.00, Good Luck with your project.

GNrider....I'll take it for 25 bucks! PM me and we'll figure out how to settle up. I'm deployed right now so not in CONUS.

You've already covered my recommendation of strong inside snap-ring pliers for the clutch cable and a service manual. You can either plan on changing tranny oil at the same time you remove the cable, or tilt the bike, drain what leaks into a clean pan and reuse it again. A little extra oil on hand may help. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished install!!

Do you think this job can be done without a bike jack? Or can it just be done on the jiffy stand?

is this something for newer bikes? I had mine apart without a special tool to install my painted fairing and its not hard to do without this tool you speak of.

I've just read of guys getting the tumbles out of wack and having to spend a couple hours getting them back in wack before they could finish the job.

Last edited by Smash; 07-31-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a YouTube search for the tool and ignition switch removal. I saw a guy make one out of 1/4" copper tube that was hammered flatter. Worked great. Cost nothing.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Screwdriver worked fine for me

Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smash
Do you think this job can be done without a bike jack? Or can it just be done on the jiffy stand?
I'm sure people on here have done it on the jiffy stand and say it was fine. I personally bought a jack with a fraction of the money I saved from doing the job myself and I wouldn't do it without the jack. It was just easier. Your call bro. The red Craftsman jack can be had for about $100.00. It's the one I picked up and is money well spent in my opinion as far as convenience and ease to work on the bike.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motor...&mktRedirect=y

Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 PM
Smash
Tourer

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I'm sure people on here have done it on the jiffy stand and say it was fine. I personally bought a jack with a fraction of the money I saved from doing the job myself and I wouldn't do it without the jack. It was just easier. Your call bro. The red Craftsman jack can be had for about $100.00. It's the one I picked up and is money well spent in my opinion as far as convenience and ease to work on the bike.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motor...&mktRedirect=y
I'm not seeing the red Craftsman jack. All it's pulling up for me is the yellow craftsman, the OTC and the Powerbuilt triple lift. The link you provided for me doesn't work. When I click on it it takes me to a page that asks if I want to "Shop US"....since I'm not in the States right now.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
glider1993
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Smash

GNrider....I'll take it for 25 bucks! PM me and we'll figure out how to settle up. I'm deployed right now so not in CONUS.

I've just read of guys getting the tumbles out of wack and having to spend a couple hours getting them back in wack before they could finish the job.
Maybe I got lucky, but when I done my bars I was careful when removing the switch and tried not hitting that area or moving the front end. It went right back in with no problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another new bar install thread!