Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tailgaters

Is it me just getting older and less patience or there more and more new tailgaters out there?

Always been a pet-peeve of mine even in the cage. Now I normally do over the speed limit but when confronted with a tailgater I normally slow down.

On the bike, a tailgater is putting my body and life in grave danger. So I slow down, not only for revenge, but if they do rear end me, it will be at a slower speed, equaling less damage to me. Or so the thinking goes.

Today I had what appeared to be a 20 year old male behind me. I was doing 35 in a 30. So close to me was he that I could hear the exhaust echo on the front end. Slowed down in steps down to 20 or so and he never backed off.

Buddy I know, carries ball bearings in the windshield bags...... that is a little extreme to me.

End of rant. Just part of getting older and crabbier I would assume.

Last edited by ThisIsMe; 08-01-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Bearings will do damage, and put you at risk of legal repercussions along the lines of malicious destruction of property, vandalism... whatever the cops feel best fits the situation.

But hard candy... like Runts or butterscotch discs, rootbeer barrels... they make a lot of noise on a windshield, but don't hurt anything. And when riding, sometimes it's hard to get it in your mouth...

...or so I've heard.

....not that I would ever do anything like that.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I definitely agree, but I have gotten to the point of just pulling over or speed up just to create some separation. It's not worth the aggravation in the long run.

As a former police officer, I don't recommend the ball bearings or the hard candy. That just incites a road rage incident we lose on the bike.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't turn into a bad driver when dealing with a bad driver. Either drive the speed limit or get out of the damn way. A motorcycle loses every time in a war or collision with a cage.

Throwing things at cages is stupid and shows a shitload of ignorance. Create a safe condition, don't exaserbate a hazardous condition. Use your brain.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM
FL450
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Custom Dynamics LED brake lights with strobe flash. They will get the message.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Don't turn into a bad driver when dealing with a bad driver. Either drive the speed limit or get out of the damn way. A motorcycle loses every time in a war or collision with a cage.

Throwing things at cages is stupid and shows a shitload of ignorance. Create a safe condition, don't exaserbate a hazardous condition. Use your brain.
This. Why not just move over and let him by?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J2X
I definitely agree, but I have gotten to the point of just pulling over or speed up just to create some separation. It's not worth the aggravation in the long run.

As a former police officer, I don't recommend the ball bearings or the hard candy. That just incites a road rage incident we lose on the bike.

I agree, you throw a ball bearing and hurt his prize tuner car and you may get run over. I have gotten off the bike at a light and walked back to tell them to get off my ***!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
rmeg08
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really! If you're going 5 below the speed limit, pull the hell over and let him pass. Not sure why you're pissed!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 PM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FL450
Custom Dynamics LED brake lights with strobe flash. They will get the message.
I have noticed that since I installed LED tails, rear traffic stays at what seems to be to far back. Like my bike stinks of running to rich. Maybe they look cooler from a distance.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw a girl on a crouch rocket with a tee shirt on that said. If you’re going to ride my *** at least pull my hair.

Quick Reply: Tailgaters