Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission broke - 9500 miles - goodwill assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission broke - 9500 miles - goodwill assistance

Cliff Notes: Broken tooth in 3rd gear, out of warranty, requested goodwill assistance for expensive repair ($1876 full retail incl. labor and tax). Received free replacement gear pack after 1st replacement was defective. Eagles Nest Harley Davidson in Lathrop, CA deserves recognition for assisting me, and discounting their labor rate from $110hr to $75hr for my portion.

What: 2011 Street Glide 103, approximately 9500 miles with intake/tune/exhaust modifications only
Minor recommendation: With the bike on a lift, rotate the rear wheel to see if you hear a clicking noise in the transmission. If so, have it checked out.

How: Noticed a “tractor-like” knocking/rattling sound pulling from a stop. After making a call to Eagles Nest, I headed out…and tipped over. 1st gear was locked up. 3rd gear was way too noisy. I nursed the bike along the shoulder for 11 miles with my buddy riding behind me, both with hazards on, me in 2nd gear.

Dealer found the broken tooth, ordered a replacement gear pack. The 1st replacement also made noise, so a second pack was ordered as well as a new case just to be sure the gear pack wasn’t the problem.
Finally, after being in the shop for over a month, I pick it up tomorrow.

Conclusion: I recommend factory warranties, if out of warranty and low(er) miles, request goodwill assistance from the dealer to the factory.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good write up. Good to know, and glad you were taken care of and getting back on the road. Even though it is out of warranty based on years, it is well under ridden for the miles. I know for a fact a certain metric bike manufacturer would not do this.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:26 AM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this "goodwill assistance" that you speak of? Like asking the dealer for charity?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:17 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RIDERED67
What is this "goodwill assistance" that you speak of? Like asking the dealer for charity?
+1 What the heck is Goodwill Assistance? Never heard of such a thing.

David

Old 08-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Harley gives Dealers a "holdback" off their invoices (typically 2%) to pay for prepping the bikes and to use for goodwill as they see fit.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:35 AM
FL450
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check some independent shops for a better price. For a job like that, you better choose someone that's very good. You don't want to go through this a second time. Maybe the dealer would match the indy price.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Harley gives Dealers a "holdback" off their invoices (typically 2%) to pay for prepping the bikes and to use for goodwill as they see fit.

I was also told about this fund a few years ago. Sounds like it truly is up to the dealer to decide who receives assistance or Goodwill. I know of one person who had his motorcycle fixed out of warranty. He has all his maintenance done at the dealer which most likely helped him get his bike fixed I believe for free.

FYI... His next bike was purchased with a 7 year warranty. I also purchased the 7 year warranty with my TK. $1400 well spent as far as I concerned.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Dealers usually reserve goodwill for good customers. You can ask but don't expect it. Towards end of years funds may be used up also. Car business is same way. Sometimes factory will pay also. Mike

Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Had 2011 SG 13,000 miles and 2 months out of warranty and the dealer fixed the transmission, $1,700.00 worth and they were able to get HD to foot the bill.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The dealer agreed to cover the gear pack and then heard back that the factory was going to reimburse the dealer.

I requested "goodwill assistance" - a term used to appeal to the factory (or dealer) to cover a part that is technically out of warranty but also failed prematurely.

The fact that the 1st replacement gear pack was defective probably helped my case quite a bit.

Originally Posted by FL450
Check some independent shops for a better price. For a job like that, you better choose someone that's very good. You don't want to go through this a second time. Maybe the dealer would match the indy price.
So the $1876 was full retail for the parts & $110/hr labor. The dealer discounted the labor to $75/hr and the factory paid for the gear pack. About 7 hours of labor I'm told.

I priced the main components online, would have to wait for shipping them and would have saved about $350. It was a moot point since I was waiting so long for a fix & answer.

Originally Posted by jeg1
Had 2011 SG 13,000 miles and 2 months out of warranty and the dealer fixed the transmission, $1,700.00 worth and they were able to get HD to foot the bill.
ooh two months! Nice. I was 1 years, 7 months so I figured paying 1/2 wasn't too bad.

Quick Reply: Transmission broke - 9500 miles - goodwill assistance