Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Oxygen Sensor Voltage Preventing TTS V-Tune Data Collection

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High Oxygen Sensor Voltage Preventing TTS V-Tune Data Collection

I posted this over in the “Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection” arena first, but I got no responses there. I’m hoping that someone in this more frequented arena will have some information for me.

I need some help please! I upgraded the stock 96ci engine in my 2010 SG with a Fuel Moto 107ci big bore kit with Fuel Moto CNC ported heads and Woods TW-777 cams. I've attempted several times to collect V-tune data for my new build with my TTS Mastertune, but I’m having one heck of a time gathering valid Data Master V-tune data. I cannot get the Data Master program to exit the “Waiting” status and it appears to be related to the voltage of the oxygen sensors. According to the V-tune data, the voltage of each O2 sensor is reading at an average of about 1700 mV within the closed loop cells which indicates a rich fuel condition. I called TTS and the Tech that I spoke to said that the O2 voltage that I am seeing is way too high and that it should be in the 600-1200mV range for my particular year model bike. He also said that the O2 sensor high voltage is what is precluding me from collecting valid data. Here is what I have done so far for troubleshooting:

1. Replaced the exhaust gaskets
2. Replaced the front and rear oxygen sensors
3. Double, triple, and quadruple checked that the O2 sensors were inserted the right bungs on the head pipe and that the sensors are plugged into the correct sockets.
4. Loaded a tune file for a basic 96ci build to see if the lean fuel condition would result in lower mV readings.

Nothing has worked and I continue to get the same results. Randomly the oxygen sensors will “wake up” and start collecting data but then they will peg out again at about 1700 mV. Any ideas what is going on? The only thing that I haven’t tried is verifying the ground for the O2 sensors is good, but I haven’t figured out where that is yet. Any ideas what might be going on?

Also, if anyone has a Data Master V-tune file from a 2010 touring bike I would be very appreciative if you could send it to me. I’m interested in seeing how your O2 sensors behave and what the voltages are.

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Are the sensors at the correct depth? For example are you running non stock exhaust? If you are check and see that the sensors are set to the same depth as they would be if they were in the stock exhaust.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I'll watch this with interest.

My experience is with the older non-heated wide band o2 sensors.

when at stoich these sensors will output 4.5 VDC ( 4500 mVDC)- a lower voltage like 1.7 VDC would indicate that the mixture is overly lean- like 16:1 or leaner.

or signify that the o2 sensor was not yet hot enough.

o2 sensors can be damaged by rtv silicone type sealers- use any of them?

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Are the sensors at the correct depth? For example are you running non stock exhaust? If you are check and see that the sensors are set to the same depth as they would be if they were in the stock exhaust.
I'm running a D&D Fatcat 2:1. This is a pretty popular pipe and I haven't heard of anybody else having this issue with them. Also, I tuned the bike before using the TTS with this pipe.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I'll watch this with interest.

My experience is with the older non-heated wide band o2 sensors.

when at stoich these sensors will output 4.5 VDC ( 4500 mVDC)- a lower voltage like 1.7 VDC would indicate that the mixture is overly lean- like 16:1 or leaner.

or signify that the o2 sensor was not yet hot enough.

o2 sensors can be damaged by rtv silicone type sealers- use any of them?

mike
The Tech at TTS indicated that they should be reading in the 600-1200 mV range. He said 1700 mV indicates a rich condition.

No, I haven't used any RTV sealant and the O2 sensors are brand new.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Bagger
The Tech at TTS indicated that they should be reading in the 600-1200 mV range.
I'll watch this space then.

( did they give an idea of how many milliamps you should be seeing- voltage readings can be spurious if the current is low?
and the new o2 sensors ( why new?) are the correct type?

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-02-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Try this, pick another tune if possible, or reload a new copy of the canned tune. Start with the cam tune and see if that will work. Do not make any adjustments until that is done. Make the adjustments for the cam tune, and set everything up for vtune. Check to make sure the cubic inches is right. You might have a corrupted tune in the bike.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Do you have cu inch and injector constants set correctly? Lots of times I have had to manually lower the ve's in areas to be able to collect data. A quick test would be to increase your injector constant and see what the voltages do. I wouldn't leave it like that as you may run out of room on the ve tables in other areas.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I'll watch this space then.

( did they give an idea of how many milliamps you should be seeing- voltage readings can be spurious if the current is low?
and the new o2 sensors ( why new?) are the correct type?

Mike
No indication of amperage, just voltage. The ECM reads voltage, in milliamps from the O2 sensors.

I replaced the oxygen sensors because I thought that they may be bad and causing the high voltage. I replaced them with the oxygen sensors listed for my bike. I wasted my money replacing them because the new ones are reading the same voltage as the old ones were.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wmitz
Try this, pick another tune if possible, or reload a new copy of the canned tune. Start with the cam tune and see if that will work. Do not make any adjustments until that is done. Make the adjustments for the cam tune, and set everything up for vtune. Check to make sure the cubic inches is right. You might have a corrupted tune in the bike.
I've tried different tunes, but none of them seemed to have any impact on reducing the oxygen sensor voltage. I even loaded a tune for a basic 96ci tune and left the displacement at 96ci to try to create a lean condition, The voltage still hovered around 1700 mV.

Quick Reply: High Oxygen Sensor Voltage Preventing TTS V-Tune Data Collection