Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test rode a 2015 Road Glide today

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
OK, did I miss it somewhere? How is the air around the rider now, is it clean or is a beating you up like the last design? I see no reason to redesign the fairing unless they made it better and more comfortable for the riders.

Beary
No kidding. The single most important question, and very little response about it.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
OK, did I miss it somewhere? How is the air around the rider now, is it clean or is a beating you up like the last design? I see no reason to redesign the fairing unless they made it better and more comfortable for the riders.

Beary
Vents etc. aside,imho from my FLTR experience,the most effective thing that could have been done to address that,is to design the fairing in a way that moves the windshield closer to the rider (about 6 inches closer) I'd be interested to know if the new windshield placement varies from the 2013 and older RoadGlides

Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
I'm in agreement on the addition of an "infotainment" system on a bike....or in a car for that matter. Aren't there some more important things to be paying attention to while riding/driving? Yet there will be a mountain of guys with them bitching about those "damn cagers" and how they aren't paying attention. Aren't the gauges meant to be the info and the ride the entertainment? If you want to watch a screen, have a seat on your couch.
That is so true....

Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=fuma;13068465]If anyone else test rides one of these soon, please check to see if it still exhibits the decel wobble (aka death wobble / tank slapper).

Bring it up to about 40-45, let off the throttle, and just let go of bars as it slows by itself (or just hover your hands over the bars to catch it if it does start to tank slap). Don't pull the clutch in, don't brake. See how steady it is as it slows.

Report back.

Thanks.

I have 45K on my Road Glide with all sorts of different tire combinations on it - I have NEVER witnessed anything like this. I have many buddies who ride them as well, and zero reports of this condition. I wonder what is wrong with the bike in that video?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

[QUOTE=ractrev;13073332]
Originally Posted by fuma
If anyone else test rides one of these soon, please check to see if it still exhibits the decel wobble (aka death wobble / tank slapper).

Bring it up to about 40-45, let off the throttle, and just let go of bars as it slows by itself (or just hover your hands over the bars to catch it if it does start to tank slap). Don't pull the clutch in, don't brake. See how steady it is as it slows.

Report back.

Thanks.

I have 45K on my Road Glide with all sorts of different tire combinations on it - I have NEVER witnessed anything like this. I have many buddies who ride them as well, and zero reports of this condition. I wonder what is wrong with the bike in that video?
The swing is probably at a 3 or 4 swing instead of a 1 1/2 swing, would be my guess.

Also improper tire pressure will do the same results too.

YB

Old 08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The wobble is a real issue its been know for years...I guess either you guys don't know what a stable bike feels like or you haven't ridden one hard enough to get it. That being said Harley touring bikes have a long way to go to figure out the buffeting issue. For those of us who wear full face helmets the fairing (Batwing & bender) the buffeting just plain sucks. You think for 20,000 plus dollars they would have figured it out without guys having to spend thousands of dollars and shields and seats...

Old 08-06-2014, 04:15 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry guys I've been busy riding rather than playing on the internet all day. My original post was started to let others at the rally know the new bike was available to test ride here. I'm not a journalist just a guy who likes to ride. As far as the mensch is concerned WTF is reasd mean? Putting a navigation screen on a bike is not important to me as I've always used maps and have always had trouble dealing with anything involving computers. I'd prefer HD would spend less money on the nav/ entertainment **** and more on the quality of the engine bearings and suspension. Make me a model with a solid reliable engine with excellent suspension and basic gas/fuel/oil temp and pressure gauges and I'd buy it. What impressed me the most on the bike was the front suspension as compared to the 10SG I currently ride and I'm sorry didn't say that in my OP. Now back to riding in the rain at the rally, Ted is playing at the Chip tonite I'm outta here. Peace out.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=09 YELLOWBIRD;13073496]
Originally Posted by ractrev

The swing is probably at a 3 or 4 swing instead of a 1 1/2 swing, would be my guess.

Also improper tire pressure will do the same results too.

YB
I have a 2012 CVO Road Glide.
I have that wobble.
I had it checked.
I got the standard "it is in specs"

The position they take, and as noted in the post above ^, is that:
--> IF the wobble exists, it only is observed when you let go of the bars with both hands on decel.

The Moco position is-- we don't build the bike for you to ride with no hands on decel like that. Period.

It is comparable to telling the dealer "when I set the cruise and stand on the seat the bike pulls to the left"

For the record: there is absolutely NO feeling of the wobble when holding the bars with both-or-one hand, even lightly. Nothing. None. No.

I wish it did not wobble, but I understand the position taken by the company.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Ride on Man and safely too in the rain. Thanks for the intro to the 15's. Guess everyone else will just have to wait for the demo rides at their home dealerships.

To DynaJ - the buffeting that you refer to is a NON issue with the 14 Rushmore batwings so get out a try one! YOu might be pleasantly surprised.

Lobo

Old 08-06-2014, 05:57 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the intro write up on the new Road Glide, we should all be able to test them in a few weeks, I am puzzeled how a frame mount fairing can cause a wobble, I have had the wobble on both Road Glides and Bat wings but were caused by bad front tires on both. Lets hope the Road Glide survives and allows all riders to enjoy their preference.
Ride safe and enjoy your ride.

Quick Reply: Test rode a 2015 Road Glide today